How do i get my seven and five year olds out of pull ups at night? They are heavy sleepers and they pee on themselves if they dont where the pull ups.

Amber0204

Asked by Amber0204 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are they drinking liquids before bed??
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Nothing to drink after 6pm and go potty before you get in bed.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Their bladder is still small and they are in a very deep sleep at night, they play hard all day. There will come a time when they will be awakened by the feeling of needing to pee, it takes time, have patients the day will come when their body and brain is ready---I promise.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Have you ever tried to use one of those little alarms? It goes in their underwear/pullups and when it detects moisture, it sets off a little alarm to wake the child so they can go to the bathroom. It helped my husband when he was that age and still having accidents. You can find them online for pretty cheap.
    Anonymous

• Try this link to see a bunch of different types of the alarms and their prices.

Anonymous

• Honestly? There's nothing wrong with the pullups. Some kids can't keep themselves dry at night til they're older. I personally would not push the issue.
    Anonymous

• 5 and 7 are still pretty young. A certain percentage of kids just still wet during the night at that age. Both my dh and I were bed wetters as likds so I knew there was a good chance my kids would be. I just kept them in pull ups at night until they started staying dry. My older DS is 9 and still wets. My younger DS stopped wetting at 6 yrs old.
    I tried the alarm when I was a kid (my choice, not forced on me by my parents) and it completely terrorized me! It "worked" but had me in a state of panic. I finally outgrew my problem, all pretty much all kids do.
    Bottom line, buy a case of Goodnights and give them a few more years!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• No liquids after 6pm, have them potty before going to bed and then - the trick - when YOU go to bed, get them up and make them go potty again. To this day, I STILL get up around 2am to go potty because my parents used to wake me up to go potty before they went to bed (usually not that late, but I don't sleep through the night without atleast one potty run). At 5 and 7,they are still young with growing bladders, IF they were 10 and 12, I'd be more worried and say go to a urologist to see if something was medically wrong (my bladder quit growing about the time I was 4 so I had it enlarged when I was 10).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• no liquids (except maybe a sip or two) after dinner, bathroom right before bed, start waking them up about 12 or 1am to use the bathroom, plastic cover under the mattress, underwear instead of pull ups, do the wake up thing for a couple months, after a couple months stop waking them up (keep with the limited drinks and before bed bathroom stop) and see if they stay dry through the night

we did this with ours and it worked for us
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone..I do give them their last drink at six and i wake them up at 11, 2, and 5 and their pull ups are still dry....i have tried not putting them in pull ups but they always wet the bed..i dont have the money to buy the plastic things for the bed, just barely enough to buy the pull ups..thank you again for the advise
    Amber0204

Answer by Amber0204 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010