Parrot Fish?

I bought a Parrot Fish 6 days ago from Wal-Mart, well It was acting weird 5 days ago. It stays in the bottom corner of the tank and only moves to eat. I have 2 Chichilds and 2 algae cleaners. I'm going to get another parrot fish, so the one we have will have a mate. I don't see any spots on it and we don't have many decorations right now because we spent $120 on everything last week. What could be wrong with it?

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Cichlids are known to be very aggressive and predatory.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I just can't think what a parrot-fish is!!! It sounds familiar, like I should know what it is, but I am having one of those days. If you can tell me more about it, I could help you a little more.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• This is what it is -
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 5:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 5:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Cichlids are really not community fish, they are agressive and territorial, and do not play well with others, sometimes not even with other varieties of cichlid. If you can get to a real pet store, that would be a MUCH better place to buy your fish. Wally-world is not the best place to buy fish. At a real pet store, they can tell you so much more about the kind of fish you are interested in, whether or not they will be a good fit with the fish you already have.

(This is bugging me that I can't tell you more, I really have had this fish before, but I can't remember WHAT kind it is, gourami, cichlid, tetra, etc. I *think* it is either a gourami or a different kind of cichlid, but I just can't place it!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the info!!!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Mine ALWAYS did this when the ph was low. If I increased it he was fine in seconds.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 10:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• What size is your tank and waht other kinds of cichlids do you have in there? I can go on and on with the questions I work at a pet store in the fish department and we sell parrot cichlids. Wal-mart is not the best place to buy fish. a parrot cichlid will get to be about 12 to 15 inches I would reccomend atleast a 45 gallon for just one of these guys. From the pic he looks kinda dull in color for his age they are typically a bright orange as juviniles. You can probably go to any pet store weather it ba a chain or mom and pop store and they can help you. Also take a sample of water and they will test it for free.
    Kelly0928

Answer by Kelly0928 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My tank is a 29 gallon and I have a 20-40 Filter & Heater in my tank. I have 2 African Cichlids, 1 puffer, and the Parrot Cichlid. I'm thinking of buying another tank just for the Parrot Fish ( their all juveniles). Wal-Mart is the only store near me that sells Fish now, our Local Pet Store shut down a few weeks ago and moved to KY. :( So, the only Pet Store close to me is an hour away.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 10:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• That sucks that they moved away...you can go to Petco.com and get some care sheets on most of the fish you have. There are also some pretty good fish forums out there. If you have any other questions you can message me and I would be glad to help even if I don't know the answer one of my managers is a big fish enthusiast I could ask him. Hope I helped some and good luck! The aquatics hobby is very fun and addicting:-)
    Kelly0928

Answer by Kelly0928 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010