Why the double standard?

How is it there are so many mothers here who see what happened in MA where Phoebe Prince was bullied to death, and decry the bullying and decry the parents who defend the bullies. Yet, at the same time, some of those same mothers defend their actions in teaching their children that homosexuality is wrong and disgusting and not to be accepted? What makes them any different than those horrible parents who raised the bullies in Phoebe's school?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• first of all, I do think that parents are responsible in their children's actions in that they are to teach their children morals and correct behavoirs, but at the same time every child has the freedom to make their own choices, so they are responsible for their actions as well, and should not put complete blame on others. you can see children who are raised in an abuseive home and do the same as they were taught, and the same sibling who was raised in that home choose to never behave how they were raised.

at the same time, there are many moms who beleive and teach that homosexuality is a sin, but at the same time teach them to love and have compassion for those people who choose to live that lifestyle. Just because you believe it to be immoral and sinful does not mean that you hate homosexuals. there are people who do teach that, and that does upset me a great deal.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a double standard. Thinking something and doing something are completely different. I teach my kids that drugs are bad. That doesn't mean it's okay to pick on someone who uses them. I also teach my kids to treat people the way they want to be treated, so if my child decided to harass anyone for any reason and I found out about it, shit would hit the fan.

I've got to be honest though, I don't blame the bullies for the girl killing herself. She made the decision to take her own life. That was her choice. I think she was rotten selfish brat herself. How could you do that to your parents and loved ones?

Anonymous

• Obviously you have never had to witness how terrible being bullied is now days anon 3:25. How dare you say she was a rotten BRAT. YOU IDIOT....way to BULLY the DEAD. ASSHAT
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• anon that kid had enough of being bullied while she was alive. Don't go speaking ill of the dead like that.
    Anonymous

• It is disgraceful. Some parents don't realise we are the biggest teacher our children will ever have. I think schools should have mandatory tolerance classes. If they did that maybe we can counter act the effects of what some kids are taught at home. Maybe it will make their future more peaceful with less hate. These parents who tell their kids being gay is awful most likely end up with anti-gay activist, The ones who teach their kids blacks are evil probably end up with children in the KKK. It is a horrible cycle, and if we don't put a stop to it no one will.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• ve got to be honest though, I don't blame the bullies for the girl killing herself. She made the decision to take her own life. That was her choice. I think she was rotten selfish brat herself. How could you do that to your parents and loved ones?

That is a horrible thing to say. I blame them if they would not have tortured her maybe she wouldn't have decided to take her life.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• anon, Just because you believe it to be immoral and sinful does not mean that you hate homosexuals

This is true, but when you go out of your way to keep them from getting married and denying them the rights you enjoy as a heterosexual, just because of those religious views then there is a problem and the only justification is hate. Because if you think that opposing will make it go away and die, you are wrong, this small sector of the population breath and bleed and pay taxes like the rest of us and they will not stop until they are given what is rightfully theirs.

Answer by older at 7:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I personally have a religious basis for my beliefs about the issue.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think schools should have mandatory tolerance classes.

I feel compelled to say that Christians believe that God has spoken on the issue and feel that HE is able to have the ultimate last word about it.

So for me, I can believe God, or I can believe you.

So easy.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

I think they should have mandatory swats on the ass. When I was a kid if I had gotten in trouble at school, I would have gotten in twice as much when I got home. Now kids get in any trouble at school the parents are ready to jump down the throats of the teacher or whoever, because their precious child would not do such a thing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010