question for animal lovers (and I mean lovers of ALL animals..)

My sister's husband was looking through their shed that they have at my house, and they found a mice nest in a plastic container. It was a mom and four babies, the babies are very young, they are just about an inch long...The mother took off, and left her babies now...what would you do? I'm afraid to let the babies go because they are sure to die without their mother...so what would you do? We don't exactly want to bring them in our home, we don't know if they have diseases..it's Easter sunday and there really isn't anything open today...so any thoughts? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Sadly, you have to put them outside and let nature happen, in whatever way it is supposed to. You can only choose from a few options. Put them outside, close to the shed -they will either starve to death or be eaten unless a miracle happens, or put then in a container in the deep freeze, they will fall asleep and die, quickly and as painless as possible. I am an animal lover, but I am also a human lover, you don't know they don't have rabies or other diseases, you can't keep them and if you take them to a pet store they will be snake food
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I am a lover of all animals, domestic that is... I would leave them there, where they were. The Mom ran off because of being scared away, not because she abandoned them, at least IMO.... She will go back to them as long as you don't mess with them and leave them where you found them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• That is really sad.. maybe wildlife and fisheries??? I really hope you find something.. i LOVE even mice.. poor helpless babies.. good luck to you
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• This happens to us all the time. Anytime we move something in the shed we find baby mice. All you do is leave them where you found them. Mom comes back-sometimes she will keep them in that location and sometimes she will move them. They will be just fine.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• If you are SURE the mother is gone ... honestly I would take them to a vet and ask about a humane euthanasia. They should do it for free. At least around here they do as a good Samaritan act.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I love animals, but whether they're diseased right now or not, they probably will be later on in their lives. Put them back out and let nature take its course.
    Anonymous

• i would take them to the local petstore, i'm sure they have some pythons that need to be fed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I would leave them where they are. You cant be sure mom is really gone. She is probally just scared. She might come back if you leave them alone.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I would leave them where they are- mom will very likely come back for them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I'm pretty sure the mom will come back for them as long as you leave them alone. I love all animals, even mice/rats (I happen to have a pet rat), but like you said, you don't know what kind of diseases they may be carrying.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2010