Would this annoy you?

On the way back from dinner tonight I made a joke to my mom about finding a rich hubby. ( I am single) She commented back with, you just want the easy way out, everyone does but it doesn't work that way, you just want someone to support you so you don't have to. Mind you my mother has lived overseas for the past 7 years and not been around.
I was so taken back and kinda hurt by her comments for a few different reasons. But mainly the thing is if I find a hubs, no I don't want to work full time, not becasue I am lazy, or want the easy way out, but becasue I want to be home when my son gets home from school. I told her that she had that option but she chose to work. (my dad made a LOT of money back then)
Would this annoy you or am I being over sensitive?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• yea it would but if you want to be home when you son gets home from school you can always look for a job when hes in school im having my first baby in july and im looking for a morning job so when im off will be same time as hubby and we can enjoy our baby growing together and have same days off so we can see family out of town just something i think would be easier for us and i go for a interview tues for a day job so thats just what i would do
    Anonymous

• she just wants to push her way of thinking on you.
    Anonymous

• I made the same decision. I was a SAHM when I was married to my ex. I remarried, but when I was dating and it would get serious I always let the man know that I planned to SAH with my kids - and I didn't date men who didn't have a job, a good job. I wasn't looking for a "rich husband," my husband is far from it but he does make enough for us to be comfortable and while we do have to pinch our pennies, we both feel that it's worth it for me to stay home.

Answer by missanc at 7:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• u gave her the thought that u wanted a rich man. what else would you want him for? u can't get pissed if u said it
    Anonymous

• Well the "rich man" thing was a joke, really... I am not looking for a sugar daddy, and was not expecting the convo to go where it did.

Anon 737 I am single, there is not job just in the am that pays enough to support us. I would love to work at my currnt job part time (like until 1 )
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• it would annoy me , i say that all the time , it would be nice to have a suger daddy, but its hard to find one lol
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 9:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think that it's probably been very hard for you to be a single parent with your mother overseas for so long. You obviously have done plenty on your own and no one would be able to call that lazy with a straight face. It sounds like your mother misinterpreted your intentions when you made that joke, and it also sounds like you are very emotional about having her back. You've missed her for so long, and now everything she says carries even more weight. Try to chalk it up to a break down in communication, but if it's really bothering you then talk to her. She's your mother after all, you should be able to tell her how you feel and how her words affect you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010