How do I get over this?

So I feel like I am a good mom. I know what a bad mom is like, and I am not one. I do all that I can and put my heart and soul into raising my daughter. I am not insecure about my mothering. However, when my own mother is around, I feel like I don't belong or something. She is constantly taking my daughter to play and completely overbearing with her. She takes control and almost plays house with her. She is all over everything she does, and is completely smothering. My daughter does whatever she wants (which I am sure is normal with most grandparents), but I keep rules when my mom is around. My mother is a good person, but not a good parent. She is very selfish and immature and always has been. I think part of this insecurity I have is because I don't feel that she is worthy of my daughter; that sounds so bad saying it, but its honest. I am going to the beach this weekend with my mom for two nights. How do I cope?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• do you feel like maybe you should be doing the things with your DD that your mom is? that somehow your mom is trying to take over being your DD's mom? does that make sense?

if your mom steps over a line that YOU put down, dont feel bad/wrong to put her back into her place. let her know that she raised you and now its your turn to raise your daughter.... even if that means you gotta tell your mom to back off of your DD.

she might be a crappy parent, but she might be an awesome grandparent! how does your DD feel about her?
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 8:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Ditto Shy
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 9:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You are the parent and if she step on your toes, then put her in her place. You don't have to be mean, just be honest. She needs to respect your place as the mother and you have every right to demand that. Your role in your daughters life should not change depending on whether your mom is present or not, maybe your mom doesn't realize what she's doing. Either way, stand up for yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010