Movies

okay so I want to let DS watch Jurassic park. He is 5 and has seen Pirates and Iron Man with no problem. DH doesn't want him to see this though. He thinks it's to scary? I think Iron Man was worse because the war scenarios are more real than a dino biting a guy in half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 3 year old has watched Iron Man, Jurassic Park and the violent video games my husband plays. He doesn't get scared, he knows they are fake. It depends on what kind of kid you have, is he sensitive or not?
    Anonymous

• I think your dh is right. Yes, the war scenes are more real as far as the grownup world goes, but the scenes from Jurassic Park are more graphic, and kids (and their imaginations) don't live in the grownup, real world.

So, even though dinosaurs are extinct and there's no chance he's going to ever be bitten in half by one, that doesn't mean that he's not going to get freaked out by it and be scared that it's going to happen. (My kids watched it when it came out and they were younger, and it really freaked them out). Telling them that they were extinct didn't help, either - because they were like - but that man made them be not extinct anymore!

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Jurassic Park is most DEF not for a 5 year old. It is not just the biting in half thing. My siblings and me watched that movie young and we all had nightmares for a month straight. Mine was that a Trex was in our hallway and was going to get me on the top bunk. My brothers dreamed about the raptors cahsing them and eating them. I don't agree that Iron man is worse.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I don't remember Jurassic Park being graphic at all, but I agree it's not for a 5 year old. I wouldn't have let my 5 year old watch Iron Man either though. I haven't seen Pirates, so I don't know about that one :)
    I can see how Jurassic Park might be scarier, b/c even though Iron Man did have war scenes and explosions, it's at least people, and he's used to seeing people, regardless of how they act. Dinosaurs are not something he sees daily, and I could see a young child being more scared of a roaring monster going after people.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My son was watching it at 2 and 3....but, he had no issues with those kinds of movies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think those kinds of movies aren't appropriate for kids that young. Let them be kids and be innocent while they can, don't introduce them to vioence and blood and fighting or people scared half to death by gigantic creatures.They have plenty of time for that when they are older. I thank God everyday for Walt Disney :) Keep their little minds happy. The real world will corrupt them enough later on. But, that's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son watched JP at 3 and wasn't bothered but as a 5 y/o was. Dinosaurs are as real to kids as war scenes are to you. He will grasp that dinosaurs are killing people even if he didn't understand that war kills people. Not a good fit IME
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I thank God everyday for Walt Disney :)

Are you kidding? Have you ever paid attention to any disney movie? The themes are all way to advanced for any kids. Stepmothers trying to kills their SDs.Death, murder, Mayhem. Even the newer movies are repleat with sexual tension and innuendo. disney movies are great for parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My DD saw Jurassic Park at the age of 2. She LOVES that movie. for she loves dinosaurs. If you think your 5 yo can handle it, go for it. It really depends on if he scares easily or not. My kid just doesn't, hehe.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son is almost 3 and has been watching them for months. The 2nd one is the least scary and has the least violance. However I think it depends on the kid to. DS isn't affraid of those types of movies at all. My 6yr old nephew cant even watch Monster house all the way without getting scared.
    Seagodess

Answer by Seagodess at 1:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2010