Dipe Counts and BFing

My DD has been BFed on and off due to some medical/mental problems on my end [mostly hormonal] and I have a very good supply in, she takes in both breasts [about 10-15min each side] and she eats when she tells me. She doesn't eat at night since she's slept through the night since she was born. She's only getting about 4-6 wet/messy diapers a day, I've FFed her a week, she had a reaction so I had to nurse again and now she won't take a bottle. Should I try supplementing or just switch over completely? I'm not really too excited about nursing her because of the problems I'm having but a friend of mine has the condition and says it'll ease up in a few months. Should I just up my supply with pumping if there's a problem? I can't take medications because I'm already on 3 again and adding more will just send me over the edge!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wake her to nurse once or twice or offer to nurse one or two extra times in the day.. that's all you would need to do! It'll bring up your supply and her diaper count to a steady 6. No need to supplement, and, the hormones will get better - just stick it out. BF'ing releases oxytocin which actually helps allay PPD, so breast feeding can only help.
    Anonymous

• I don't have PPD. The condition is called D-MER and oxytocin/nursing DOESN'T help..it makes it worse LOL. But thank you, I will try just offering more in the day time though because I don't really like to wake a sleeping baby.. Would it be better if I just offered more through out the day too?
    Anonymous

• I would offer more through the day, because it sounds like her night is established. What cues are you using for her asking. Crying is a late sign of hunger. I would try to offer at least every 2 hours right now, until you've got her diaper count established, and that'll only be for a few days. Settle in on the couch. Also, make sure you've got the rigth count. Disposable diapers work really well! The only way I could tell if she was wet sometimes was to put a sheet of toilet paper in there, so you can see it. How old is she? Nursing does always get easier, way easier. I am not familiar with your condition, but if she's sleeping at night, rock on.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't wake her at night! Be glad she's already STTN! I would offer more during the day. If she won't take a bottle, then just offer the breast every couple of hours. My DS ate every 2 hours max for the first 6 months. He would occassionally STTN, but usually at night he would wake to eat at least once. His dipes were always high. After 6 months he started stretching time between feedings out - but really never more than 3 hours.
    I'm not familiar with your condition - so I hope it does get better for you.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I've heard of D-MER, and it does generally get better (at least somewhat) with time. Sorry I ASSumed it was PPD. Oxytocin still applies in decreasing PPD risks, though.

I think you can increase the times/oftenness of nursing during the day and accomplish increased diaper counts.. Once you get her really pooping/peeing you could cut back on how often you offer if she's not showing hunger cues. You could cut down pacifier use if you use a pacifier often and just let her comfort nurse on you some.

I wouldn't count on her STTN permanently but maybe. Yeah, it's not good to wake a sleeping baby.. unless she refuses to nurse more often during the day. In which case, I actually would wake her up at least once (set an alarm if you go to bed when she does) to try to get in another nursing session when she'd likely take the breast.
    Anonymous

• I know all about PPD since they thought I had it before. I don't want to cut down too much on the pacifier use though because it's a life save with the D-MER, but I'm thinking of offering it before nap and bedtime and bathtime now.
    Anonymous