Hourly rates for babysitter??

I need help here. I have 2 kids, 4 and 5. Work varied days/shifts and need to come up with an hourly rate for my friend that watches them. So there's no confusion as to what is owed.

If you pay an hourly rate, what is it? What is reasonable? She doesn't transport them anywhere but does feed them.

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 8:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think you're going to get a good idea on here. Rates vary DRASTICALLY depending on the area you live. I would look on craigslist, newspaper ads, home daycares, etc. to see how much others charge in YOUR area. That way you can use that to gauge how much you should pay your sitter :)
    Kylie819

Answer by Kylie819 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Its different if it is like for a night out then for a regular weekly thing. What is your schedule like? (an example)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think at least minimum wage.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure if this is any help, as I've got just one and he's 18m - sitters around here ask for $8/hour for him (college-age girls with good references).
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• The hours can go anywhere from 3 to 8 hours. If I do pay minimum wage, is that for BOTH kids? That would be nuts. She wants a rate for both kids....i'm thinking I should just hire someone that isn't a friend. I feel like it's coming between us as friends and I can't have that.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 8:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Hourly would be 10.00/hours. Up to 3 hrs=20.00 4-5hrs=35.00 6-8hrs=45.00 this includes meals, why would she be transporting them anywhere, that should be your doing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• They have school the hours are half days, and without getting any more in depth than that, that's why she would transport. If I ended up working during the day of any of their school days. Here's what we suggested : $20 for anything up to 4 hours then $40 for anything over. The longest she's ever had to watch them was 11 hrs and that was b/c I worked a double and hubby didn't get off til late that night due to a project he was working on.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 9:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My neighbor runs an inhome day care and she charges $35 for an 8-9 hour day and she says that's cheep around here. She also feeds them a snack and lunch, and does preschool activities like crafts, hooked on phonics, etc. Hope that helps!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• "They have school the hours are half days, and without getting any more in depth than that, that's why she would transport. If I ended up working during the day of any of their school days. Here's what we suggested : $20 for anything up to 4 hours then $40 for anything over. The longest she's ever had to watch them was 11 hrs and that was b/c I worked a double and hubby didn't get off til late that night due to a project he was working on. "

I do in home day care and this is what I charge too...regardless of whether I have to transport or not. Of course in my area that rate is per child....
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• wow i did a in home child care and only charged 15 $ a day for all day for 1 kid...people go to work to pay bills n make money.
    JSMITH07

Answer by JSMITH07 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2010