Do you name your child's private parts along with the rest of their parts?

I've heard it's better to explain them just like any other body part and to also use the correct names.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• why would you call it anything else. they aren't dirty terms. a penis is a penis, a vagina is a vagina...thats what they are called. theres no reason to call them something different
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I use the real names for them. As I am getting my son dressed I say foot, leg, butt, and penis as I am pulling up his pants so he is learning his parts. My mom uses the word thinger. I think that it is stupid to use slang terms for private parts when they are so young.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I was always taught to say "my private area". Although I agree that Penis and Vagina are not dirty words, I was just taught that its nicer to hear "private parts". So I have taught my daughter to say the same thing. She will learn the correct names, and I shall be the one to teach them. Just a personal preference I guess.
    nicome19

Answer by nicome19 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• yep, we call it a penis, and we call it a vagina or labia
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I don't necessarily point them out, anymore than I would the forearm, or knuckles, but yep its a penis or vagina, However my girls call them their 'girly bits' - their word choice. If we are playing a body game - hands on head etc, then sure I would include those parts, they are normal and important parts of the body. - we say "wash your penis" in the shower.
    Part of naming them is so that if anything ever happens, the child has the words to describe what has happened to which body part
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• my sisters kids freaked out on ducktales song cause when they were little she called the girls parts a whoohoo and the boys a tail and think of the song ducktales whooohoo lol
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 10:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I personally do not understand calling them something else. It is perfectly natural to call a penis a penis etc... I don't want to teach my kids that their private areas are bad or dirty and I think calling them something else implies that.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• MY SON HAS A NAME FOR HIS STUFF ON HIS OWN. I HAVEN'T CALLED IT ANYTHING. BUT WITH MY DAUGHTER WE CALL IT HER KITTY...... WHEN IT'S DIRTY WE TELL HER " LETS GO GIVE YOUR KITTY A BATH" AND SHE GOES RIGHT IN THE BATHROOM TAKES HER CLOTHES OFF AND GETS IN THE TUB AND WAITS. BUT OTHER THEN THAT, THERRE'S NO SPECIAL NAMES FOR HIS HE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• We use real names. I'm sure when they're older they'll give it nick names, but whatever.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• anon :31 LOL so what does she think when someone is in the street calling "here kitty kitty" and all the Hello Kitty merchandise. LOL. To each there own - but that is exactly why it is often better to just call it what it is. TOO funny
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010