So in regards to the movie quest, should we teach our kids about homosexuality at a young age? If so, what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't think it is a sit down conversation, however, when they see a couple or ask about them, I think it should be explained adn the kids should be taught to be kind, considerate and tolerant of them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• WELL WHEN I'M OUT IN PUBLIC MY SON WILL ASK ME ABOUT A COUPLE AND I WILL EXPLAIN TO HIM THAT THEY LOVE EACH OTHER AND THEY ARE LIKE MOMMA AND DADDY...... THEY ARE A COUPLE AND ARE MARRIED, ENGAGED OR WHATEVER. THEY HE WILL ASK ME ABOUT WHY THEY SAME GENDER MOMMA. AND I TELL HIM WHEN UR HEART BELONGS TO SOMEONE IT DON'T SEE GENDER OR RACE. IT'S JUST FOLLOWS IT'S INSTINCT
    SugaLump

Answer by SugaLump at 11:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• doesn't need to be explained until your child brings it up. I would just say, people love other people, sometimes it is a boy and sometimes it is a girl. We can overcomplicate these sorts of things with trying to be politically correct. When they ask answer honestly and without judgement, -all you need to do
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My 13 yr old has known what homosexuality is since he was 5. We know many gays and lesbians and it would be irresponsible to not talk to him about it. I don't lie to my child, we have open communication, I don't freak out when he asks questions. Knowledge is power.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• sugalump: I LOVE your explanation. What an openminded loving way to describe relationships to your child. GOOD FOR YOU.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• What is there to explain? When my sons sees a couple all lovely dovey in public he knows it is because they love each other. He knows that gender and race don't matter (and even age to some extent). Love is love.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think when they are able to understand, but yes, they should be taught.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2010