Birth control for your daughter?

If your teenage daughter came to you and asked you to put her on birth control, would you? My friend is going thru this with her 16 yr old right now and asked what I thought. I'm all for teaching abstinence but I think a teenager wouldn't ask for it if she didn't really need it. And yes I think she is way to young to be having sex but I also think she's to young to be a mom. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Im gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that the 16 year old likely spent some time agonizing over the decision to bring this up to her mother. The fact that she did tells me that she trusts her mom and believes she is being responsible. If her mother refuses to help her with this I am thinking this will be the last time she opens up to mom and trusts her....

People have the right to their beliefs but just because you believe in abstinence or whatever the case may be doesn't mean this 16 year old girl agrees. She is taking steps to being a responsible young person in a sexual relationship. It's reality these days that teenagers have sex. I would just ensure that she is aware that she needs to ALWAYS use a condom to protect herself from STDs since the Pill doesn't do that and get her a prescription for it.

I think the fact that she even asked mom at all really shows how well this mother has done in raising her :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• She is asking for it. Give it to her at least she is being smart
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Nope.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 9:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I went on it when I was 16. Yes she should give it to her. If not she is sure to be a grandmom soon.
    Anonymous

• If she is asking for it, it means that she is thinking about having sex or already has. With that being the case, I'd say its time for her first gyno visit and then discuss the options of birth control with the doc.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Oh and even if you tell her no she can legally get it on her own without parental consent. My sister is on the depo shot going on 2 years. No she has not had sex that long but she was on it just in case temptation came up and she fell for it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think she should deffinetly get it for her. Yes 16 is a little young to be having sex but as least she is mature enough to ask her mother for.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 10:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I totally agree with your point of view!
    I was 15 and in planned parenthood alone getting my first obgyn exam and bc script because I couldnt ask my parents. It was horrible!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Nope. She can not get birth control from me. She can have the consequences of sex.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I would let her go on it. Having thoughts about sex is normal. At least she is being responsible enough to ask her mother about going on birth control AND she trusts her mother enough to talk to her about it. Breaking that trust and telling her NO will only anger her daughter and she won't come to mom for help next time...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010