Do you think its rude to return gifts.

My husband wont return gifts. He thinks its rude. I however, will return EVERYTHING. I feel that most people would rather have me return something I dont like or wont wear & get something I want..

As for my son- I return alot of the stuff he gets especially clothes. Majority of our family are older & buy "ugly" items. My husband & I are young- & our sons clothes probablly represent that.
Isnt it better that I return clothes I dont like- so they dont hang in his closet & never get worn?

Its a constant fight- my husband hates when I take stuff back. :)

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I can I do... My MIL bought our boys, "girl" board shorts last summer thinking they were swimming trunks, grrr.. She bought them on clearance so I couldn't return them. I opened them each an account, she has access to it, so when she wants to send them something she just puts the money in their account. I just told her they need to learn to save anyway, and she loved the idea.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I return what I know I won't use/wear or just don't like. I even make sure I get gift receipts when I give gifts.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think it depends. If you return everything then that is rude. If you return an occasional item, then it is fine. If you are known to be hard to shop for, do not be surprised when people stop gifting. Also, don't make it a big deal, do it quietly and don't talk about it to people. Most people would not know you return things if you don't tell them. If someone asks where the sweater they got your child is, tell them it is in the wash and then change the subject.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Yes it is VERY rude. Don't be a spoiled child. Just because you think it is ugly doesn't mean that someone liek Oh grandparents didn't LOVE it and wanted to see their grandchild in it.
    Not fitting is one thing but just because you are selfish is another.
    That is another reason I take tags off because of spoiled ass people
    Anonymous

• When ever we get something ugly we either regift it or donate it that way someone gets some use out of it. everything we get for christmas or birthdays is either bought a year before the next birthday and cannot be returned or brought at yard sales or from second hand stores.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I don't. Most places don't let you without a receipt. And even if you have a gift receipt you don't always get back the amount the person paid. They still give you the lowest possible price. I know because I have worked customer service. Usually I ask around if it's something I think a friend might like, or it goes in a donation bin.

Anonymous

• It depends... but if I know for a fact it will not get used then I will retun it.

My 15 yr old got a Tiffany's necklace for Christmas. My sil told my mil that her daughters "needed" the new key necklace that Tiffany's just came out with... because it was the "in" gift for Christmas. So mil bought my daughter the same necklace. It is a very generous gift. But my daughter would never wear a 2inch key around her neck, and she was a bit offended that she got what the other grandchild picked out. The two girls are like night and day but we always get what the other one picks out. So I was more than ok with my daughter returning the item. The necklace she chose was half the price and very petite.... she LOVES it and wears it almost every day.

Anonymous

• I love that the one RUDE comment was posted ANON.

It has nothing to do with being spoiled, but why would I let an outfit hang in my sons closet thats going to do nothing but hang there. I dont ever make a big deal out of- I just simply return the item & get him something he needs...
    When people buy clothes for my son Ill go out of my way to snap a photo of him in the outfit & mail or email the pic to that family member so they know we do appreciate the gift!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I always tell people they can return or exchange anything I give. I want them happy. That's the point of giving a gift. What good is one if they don't like it or won't use it? Tell hubby to quit wasting things and get what he wants.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• What we've tried to do on my hubby's side of the family is we have a yahoo group and each person can post gift ideas on there, I've consulted the list for every holiday/birthday, etc.... however I have found my suggestions for myself aren't followed (and I literally have all budgets in mind, I have things on there that are $1.00 to up to $50), so I do end up returning items. If I can't figure out where it came from I donate it to charity. There have been several Christmases where both my hubby and I literally donated everything we got (from both sides of the family). Do I think it's rude? It can be but better than stuff sitting in the guest room forever and never getting used. I just don't mention anything about returning/not using the gifts to anyone.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2010