Dora, Diego, and Ni hoa (sp?)

I was just in there doing a load of laundry while my son is watching cartoons before he goes to bed and I had to stop what I was doing to come and vent more or less about this... He is watching Nick Jr. and Ni how or however you spell it was on and it irks my butt that they are in AMERICA where English is the dominant language and teaching AMERICAN children how to speak other languages! My son isn't quite 3 yet! He does not need to know another language. I would not go to China or Japan or Mexico without knowing how to speak Japanese or Chinese or Spanish. I am not a racist person by no means but it just bugs me that they are wanting to teach children different languages and it says PRE SCHOOLERS! HELLO!!!!! Some of them are just learning to talk good and they are throwing another language in there. ERRR. It just bugs me, I am not trying to step on anybodys toes but this is america... Not Japan or China.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OMG lady, get over it. It's just a few words here and there. It's good to know other languages.
    Anonymous

• I always thought it's best to expand their horizons at a young age... What harm is there in it? My Hubby was shocked to learn that our boys don't have any foreign language classes until jr high/highschool.. He's from England and learned french in elementary school..
    IMO I don't think it's bad for them, what I do think is bad are little ones watching TV at bedtime... JMO
    Anonymous

• What exactly is wrong with exposing children to other languages and cultures? We live in a time where globalization is not something that anyone can escape. Exposing your child to a second or even third language will only give them a leg up. If you really don't like it then turn off the TV. What are you afraid is going to happen to your child if they speak more than just English? Did you know that America is practically the only country where children grow up speaking only one language? If we want our children to be competitive in the global world of tomorrow we need to start preparing them now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Chill My son is 6 and knows ENGLISH plus German, Russian, and Italian. Nothing wrong with learning. If you dont want them to learn then have them watch the simpsons that is pretty mind numbing right there. It should keep you happy.

Anonymous

• Because he doesn't NEED to know how to speak another language. I am all for educational programs. And what is wrong with my kid watching cartoons at bedtime? OMG I am a bad mom for letting my kid watch TV. Gees. You got to learn to crawl before you can walk. I am glad that schools offer alternative languages. I took Spanish but we are talking about kids that are 3, 4, and 5.
    Anonymous

• SO????? 3, 4 ,or 5 they learn easier that young.
    Nothing wrong with learning a word here and there in another language. If it is messing up your childs english then TURN OFF THE TV and TEACH your child english. DONT leave it up to cartoons
    My son was saying please and thank you in 3 different languages by 2 :P
    Anonymous

• It's easier for kids that young to pick up on a new language. YES, they will NEED to know it for future jobs. My 2 year old watches, and can speak words in the languages taught.

Anonymous

• Hmmm Okay I honestly can not agree with this one. Younger children pick up languages faster so programs like this are actually really good for them. It isnt like they are trying to convert your child, it is a show that is teaching about different cultures and like it or not this is AMERICA with immigrants from many countries so learning about the different cultures in a fun way you would think would be a good idea. Expanding a childs knowledge is not bad IMO. If you dont like it then monitor what your child watches. I hate sponge bob I dont approve of the content so my kids do not watch it. Personally I like dora and Ni I think they not only teach other languages but many other things as well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• In addition to it being beneficial to them as adults, it is also beneficial as children in school. I live in a city that has a very richly diverse population. There are children of immigrants from Latin countries as well as people from Easter European and Western European, Mediterranean, African, and Middle Eastern regions. Like it or not, America is still a melding pot and the more our children can communicate with each other the better.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I think there are alot of people who agree with you- they dont like that other races are being shown to their children. However isnt it better to have your child be open to others of different colors or who speak different languages. I think bc they are able to be exposed as young kids they wont be "shocked" when they see it in the grovery store or at school. Im all for it!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2010