Why do people think that we are afraid?

Why do people think that those of us who are enlightened and appreciate the beauty in many different cultures are "afraid" of people who are different? When we talk about the rich heritage our country shares with a variety of faiths and ethnic backgrounds people inevitably say that we're just trying to cater to them because we're afraid of them.

I just want to be clear that we actually just have a more enlightened world view, we're not afraid of hurting their feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What are you talking about?
    Anonymous

• Um....did you forget to take your meds today?
    Anonymous

• Because your ilk acts like it. I don't know if you are talking about the fear of Mooo-slims or the half black man in charge of the country.
    Anonymous

• It would be nice if you told us what you are talking about or are we just not enlightened enough to figure it out?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• "When we talk about the rich heritage our country shares with a variety of faiths and ethnic backgrounds people inevitably say that we're just trying to cater to them because we're afraid of them."

They say that? Huh, never encountered that. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about rich heritages, etc. The only difficulty I have encountered is when people who "value diversity" are treating Western culture as something less valued. ... that's called Political Correctness in a lot of situations ...

Like, multi-cultural advocates pressure against a Christmas play UNLESS it's from Mexico, or they'll disallow Christmas carols UNLESS they're in Spanish, and this is rationalized as " for fear of offending non-Christians" - so maybe this is what you're talking about?
    ... Conga drums or a mariachi band or Balinese music is all the rage, but Mozart is "white European male" ....
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• lol okaaaaayy
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:57 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I have to say, I have never heard that. whatever??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

Instead of giving lip service, shut up and live it. As a Puerto Rican with Chinese, Mexican, Native American and yes WHITE relatives I find your statement highly offensive. You are probably one of those patronizing white people who THINK you are enlightened, but are actually act annoyingly superior. Shove it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Im not getting what your saying....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010