Differences between Catholicism and Baptist

OKay, this is NOT to start an argument or a debate. I was born and "raised" as a catholic. We go to a baptist church because he and his parents belong to the church and I really like the church. Anyway, he asked me what the differences were and since we never really went to church when I was younger except for Christmas and Easter.

So what are the main difference between the two?

(once again, im not making this for an argument, and if one starts, I'll close the question.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Baptist churches tends to believe different things in different churches. Most likely the biggest differences are Transubstantiation and Confession of Sins but it will depend on what this group believes.
    Anonymous

• http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Difference_between_catholic_and_baptist

There are numerous differences between the Catholic and Baptist denominations. Many Catholic churches emphasize sacraments (taking communion, saying "Hail Mary"s, etc.) as being a necessary part of salvation - Baptist churches tend to deemphasize the importance of such things in regard to salvation, emphasizing instead the role of faith in God alone.

Catholics often honor Mary very highly, while Baptists generally do not esteem her so highly. Catholics sometimes pray to saints who have gone before them, asking these saints to pray to God for them - Baptists generally only pray directly to God, not to saints. The Catholic denomination has priests, while the Baptist denomination has none.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Catholics have to hold back an "Amen" during Star Wars when ever the line "May the force be with you" is said

baptist don't understand the first sentence I typed :) but a few Catholics (over 30) might smile a little. I did the first time I read it on CM
    Anonymous

• * Sorry messed up that line LOL

Catholics hold back an "Also with you" during Star wars

that first post I made nobody is going to get Catholic or Baptist

sticking out tongue

Anonymous

• Well let's see...Catholics have a devotion to Mary as the mother of Jesus (Who is the 2nd person in the Holy Trinity, thus both human and divine)...I don't think Baptists have Confession(Reconcilation). I don't think Baptists have infant baptism (but Catholics do).

There's a variety of differences, in practice, doctorine, prayers, and worship.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• There are several differences another one not mentioned, is that Baptists believe you need to be born again to enter Heaven. This is not a something normally said by Catholics. Catholics believe you are born again everyday, its not necessarily a one time occurrence.  The Baptist faith is a denomination based off the Protestant religious beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Well, there are different Baptist churches/groups (Southern Baptist, Independent Baptist, etc) and they don't all beleve the same things so the exact differences are based on which church.

The two main theological difference are in "bible only" and "faith alone" - Baptists usually teach these ideas, the Catholic Church does not. Baptists believe that the bible is the only source of truth for Christians - Catholics believe that we have the bible and Sacred Tradition, and the "magisterium" (teaching authority of the church). Catholics think the "bible only" idea is one of the reasons there are so many different Christian denominiations - since it basically says that individuals can interpret the bible with the help of the Holy Spirit But then everyone thinks the Holy Spirit it leading them - even if they all have different interpretations.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Baptist churches use the "bible only" approach to argue for doctrine that is relatively new (that were not taught in the early church) like the rejection of infant baptism, pretribulation rapture, once saved always saved. And these are different than Catholic (and most Protestant) churches.

Now both Catholics and Baptists believe that we are saved by God's grace (Grace alone). But Baptists (and other Protestants) believe that it's based on "faith alone" while Catholic believe it's "faith working thorugh love". So most Baptist churches have the idea of you "accept Jesus Christ" and you're saved. And Catholics think that salvation is an ongong process through our lives and that we experience God's saving grace both through faith and by doing God's will.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Many Catholic churches emphasize sacraments (taking communion, saying "Hail Mary"s, etc.) as being a necessary part of salvation

Just to be clear - for Catholics praying the "Hail Mary" is NOT a sacrament.  It's a prayer and NOT a necessary part of salvation.  What the Catholic Church teaches is that God not only gives us saving grace when we have faith in Jesus Christ but He also gives us grace when we act through that faith to receive sacraments or follow Christ's teachings (feed the poor, help the homeless, etc.).  It's not that we earn our salvation with our good works at all - it's that when we do these good works because of our love of God and our faith in Jesus Christ we experience God's grace.  We are saved only because of God's grace.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I was raised baptist and I have to agree with erinqobrough.
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2010