Break up questions

My boyfriend broke up with me this week. We live together for 2 more weeks. It's not a bad break up, we both were trying to make something work that in our hearts we couldn't compromise on. It was a great relationship, except that one thing. Anyway, I want to be friends after I leave and he actually asked first. What exactly does that mean? Right now I really don't want to date for quite sometime. While in a relationship I was getting a lot of offers and I can tell now there will be more as word spreads. I'm not being arrogant, but in my age group most are married with families around here. How do I tell a guy nicely not now, or not ever? It's really been so long. Then I have a friend from HS that is lonely and single, I haven't seen him in forever and he asked me to go out as friends. I can tell he's hoping more and maybe someday it could be, but not now. Is it okay to go out and catch up? I don't want to lead him on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• It never hurts to go out with friends. It helps the healing. Just tell them you are not ready to date yet but you should be able to hang with them and just relax and have fun.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• geeh, admckenzie- you always got some awesome answers! lol i agree- just let them know that you arent ready to date, but you would enjoy their friendship.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure from your post if you are living separately. If you are, go out w/ your friend and enjoy yourself. Let him know you can't handle more right now, if he doesn't understand, he's not a real friend.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• OP here-we've lived together for about 2 years. I found an apartment, it's just not ready for 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• It's fine to go out as friends. Just let him know that that's all you want to be right now. You aren't ready to get back into a relationship with anyone at this point. I'm sure he will understand. As far as telling other people no, just tell them the same thing. That right now, it's just to soon for you to get into something, and you aren't ready for that yet.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Don't stop living! But be sure to let him know that it's a friend thing, just simply say you're not yet ready to start something new right now if he approaches it.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010