You should teach your child to be proud that they are black?

Saw that in another post. That white people adopting black children is an issue because they can't teach the child to be proud he is black. That's okay though, as long as white people are not teaching their children to be proud that they are white, after all, that would be racist. Why is there such a double standard for white people? If a mexican family taught their children to have "mexican pride" and black people did the same, it would be fine. Heaven forbid a white family does the same.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• As my hubby would say..teach them to be proud to be American! because after thats what we all are,correct?
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Are you race baiting? You can go into the Politics section. I'm sure the twelve or so 24/7 posters would welcome you with open arms.
    Anonymous

• I read it and usually I think tha tposter has some funny things to say but that was just wrong. You don't need to remind a black child of who they are! They KNOW they are black it is kind of hard to miss when they look in the mirror. There is no reason to shoot down a white family for adopting a black child. There is also no reason to keep pushing the hate. If blacks are going to be that way to that childs adoptive parents they are going to make that child HATE black people. His mother nad father are white.
    If skin color does not matter then why make this a big deal.

I also agree OP it is a double standard but most people dont see it that way
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I see your point. But since Blacks are still a minority, it is teaching them not to feel like an outcast. Being outnumbered is rough, especially for kids. In addition the history of our Country hasn't exactly helped minorities feel at home KWIM?

BTW... It is not "Mexicans," the term is...... Mexican-American, Latinos or Hispanics, just FYI.
    Anonymous

• I teach my daughter to be proud of who she is. It is not a race issue.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• uh yeah.... why not??
    Anonymous

• I will teach my children to be proud that they are white. Actually, I will even suggest to them that they should feel lucky that they are white. I feel very lucky.
    Anonymous

• there is not "white culture"
    there's not a thing wrong with celebrating Celtic heritage, or Scandanavian, etc, because they actually exist.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• You're crazy if you think there isn't a white culture, because there certainly is! Do a little research on race relations and you'll see that. I think that with the uphill battle many minorities are still facing, it's a good thing to teach children to be proud of their racism. Combat racism before it overcomes one. BTW, I'm white.
    Anonymous

• FYI:Blacks are no longer a minority, neither are the hispanics...whites are becoming the minority.

My son is NOT taught to be proud of being white. He is taught to be proud of being smart, friendly and other great qualities. And never to emphasize any color. He can be proud of his Native American heritage or his Irish one...but, not "because he is white."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2010