will doctor's induce at 37 weeks if baby measures too large?

elijahcole

Asked by elijahcole at 12:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Measurements before birth are highly inaccurate. Not to mention, most of the time, your baby knows when to come and if your body made it you can birth it in most cases.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The doctors never know for sure about the size of the baby; it is purely estimation. Also remember: just because the baby is large does not mean they are completely developed on the inside. All babies need time to grow and thrive in the womb and will be kept in there as long as reasonably possible, unless keeping them there is harmful to the baby or mother.
    NorincoWoman

Answer by NorincoWoman at 12:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No. My first baby was so big (and I did NOT have GD) that my midwife was worried my 2nd would be huge too, and I did measure big, and she did feel big. But I wasn't induced til I was a week past my due date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Even with today's technology, estimations of fetal size is still plus or minus 2 pounds...which is ALOT! And serioulsy 90% of the stories I hear of doctor's delivering babies early because of their size, end up being completely average size! And that induction leads to a c-section more often than not. So it all could have been avoided.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Let me rephrase that - a good, reputable doctor, will not induce, unless you or baby is in trouble. A bad doctor might induce early for no truly good reason. If your doctor is talking about it, don't do it. If you're thinking about asking, don't do it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt do it. I dont know how it works with doctors but dont risk it. Even at 37 weeks your baby might be developed enough to come out yet.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• They are always wrong! I would have had 9 almost 10 lbs pound babies and they were wrong every time. No inducing here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No, Measurements are just guesses anyways. You should NEVER be induced with out MEDICAL reasoning. A large baby is not a medical reason.
    Measurements are way off most of the time. On top of the belly with the tape measure can be off because of how baby is sitting or even if you have lots of fluide. Ultra sound measurements are often off too. According to my ultra sound at 36 weeks my daughter measured 43 weeks and 11 lbs. She was only 8 lbs 9 oz
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Some probably would. They no longer have to worry about you going into labor at an inconvenient time for them, and they'll probably get to do a c-section after labelling you failure to progress, which means lotsa money for them. Great for them, not so hot for you. It's a BAD idea.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• they shouldn't imo. because how would they know baby was "too large" and what is "too large"? i would refuse to be induced for that reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2010