Who should be saved in the Ark?, 2012 Movie and the Noah's Ark Dilemma

The 2012 movie presents a typical Noah's ark dilemma that I would like to present to you.
Whatever the poor-quality sci fi inolved in the film, and the spetacular visual effects that will excite those men-haters altruists, there is a very interesting dilemma in the core of the action: If you could save only, say, ten thousand people and let the rest of human beings die, which ones should be saved?

Click here to see the trailer of the movie

At some point of the film, the USA President explains how his wife believed that a sort of lottery should have been implemented. Under this view, a lottery would be the fairest way to select people.

In my opinion, such a lottery would mean giving up reason: allowing chance to take the place of human mind, however limited human mind might be, however imperfect our characters may be. Lottery would mean evading our responsibility as rational beings.
(continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To simplify the debate, let' suppose we have enough arks to save 10,000 people, and that the new planet, after the flood and catastrophic upheaval of tectonic plates, will have to be reconstructed from scratch. No cities will be left. No land animals and no crops. Climate will be unstable and survival will be difficult. The Security Council of UN, whether we like it or not, will be making the decisions on who will go into the ark. They choose consultants or advisors representing a diversity of philosophies or schools of thought.
    And they choose YOU as their Objectivist advisor. You don't now if the top guys will follow your advice or not, but at least you take responsibility of your recommendation.

(continued)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• This is the priority list of people who should be save according to my view.

1. Those who design, finance, and physically build the arks, and their families. These would include engineers, capitalists, and workers, and their families.
    2. A selection of the best minds in science, technology, philosophy and politics, with special emphasis in those areas of knowledge that will enable us to raise crops, generate electricity, build cities, etc.
    3. A selection of the best manual workers, specially those connected to the areas of knowledge led by the best minds.
    4. Few musicians and artists, just enough to inspire and train next generations.

But many difficulties challenge this approach. What if the ark can be finnanced by just 5 top capitalist? Will the rest of capitalist tycoons be given a chance to BUY tickets for survival?
    (continued)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If left to open market, there are enough millionaires in this world to pay for the remaining seats and left no seat for the best minds, say, scientists, and also operators, or even Objectivist philosophers.
    Would you feel OK if all seats are taken by the ones who can pay for them?
    What would be your advice?
    Anonymous

• In my movie no one woulg get saved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• In my movie no one would get saved.
    Anonymous

• I agree with your choosing of number 1-4. As for the remaining people...I agree with the lottery. However, not everyone should be able to be entered into the drawing. The scum, including: drugs addicts, alcoholics, gang members, anyone convicted of a serious crime, the terminally ill, etc. should not be allowed to continue into the new world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Oh I should clarify that I am not considering a terminally ill person to be scum. I just don't think it would be fair if a terminally ill person was drawn to come on the ark when they would be dying soon anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2010