How soon after having the baby can you go back on the pill?

Im having my baby wednesday with an induced labor. But im leaving the following saturday to move to Va so I wont be seeing the same doctor and dont have a dr yet in VA. I know you cant have sex for 4-6 weeks after birth anyway but how soon can you get on the pill to just be safe?

Sophie4910

Asked by Sophie4910 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ask your OB for a prescription before leaving the hospital, they should have no problem giving it to you. Depending on whether you will breastfeed, you may need a special low hormone pill, but they are safe to take almost immediately. Good luck Wednesday!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Here is a good web page that should answer your question: http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/newparents/contraception.asp
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Talk to your Dr I am sure he would have no problem giving you a prescription to have filled at a later date.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it's almost right away. Although if you breastfeed, you can't take any BC with estrogen in it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My OB gave me a prescription at my post-partum check-up. I threw it away because I was breastfeeding. If you plan on breastfeeding, look into other methods of birth control. Estrogen is a well-known supply killer and many women loose their supply with ANY form of artificial hormones. However, if you have no intention of even attempting breastfeeding, I don't see any reason why you can't get put on the pill right away.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• the following week ur reg period comes , if ur not breast feeding usually 6-8weeks
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010