When/How/Why did you come to believe there is a God. Was it because this is what you were taught as a child? What makes you believe? Do you believe just because the bible says to believe? I hope this makes sense.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• when? when i was 3
    how? because my parents sent me to a "bible vacation school" it was a christian preschool
    why? because i thought thats what i was supposed to do (becuse they told me to)

so ya i was pretty much forced into it. im sorry, but what the hell does a 3 yr old know about asking jesus into your heart etc..i didnt know what i was doing!!!!!!!! and i think thats completely wrong, which is why i am one of those ppl now who thinks that kids shouldnt be allowed to choose/pick a religion until their around 14-15yrs old. im 27 now, havent been to church since i was 16, and even then when i did go before that i would sneak out and go to dairy queen with my friends..lol..my parents are still all religious, but not me, and i want my daughter to have nothing to do with it!! until shes old enuff to make the decision herself..when i had to work on sundays, she would go to church with my parents, and....cont....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i hated it, because the ppl at the church bribed her..."come back next sunday and you can have a free hot chocolate" then on her bday they sent her a coupon for a free pop..ya sure it was nice...but..in my mind its bribery!!!!! so yaa i stopped working sundays because i will not allow her to go. .
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• how- as a child, i guess my parents taught me
    when - i dont remember my bio dad but my older sis says he taught us and she would tell me about God after that
    why- God's changed my life. Used to be into drugs, sold my body, promiscuous, suicidal. Jesus turned it around which proves to me He is real.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• how: hmmm, I was raised Catholic....read the bible, had a very odd experience, now I am a Wiccan who worships the gods of Egypt.
    When: My mum says I never really took to the church, never acted like I believed. I have tried to block out most of my childhood....I turned to wicca at 16 and I am now 30

The bible (and some of it's followers) is what turned me away from Christianity....(I now have a phobia of christians)
    The actual calling of Anubis and Sekhmet is a loooong story, if you want to know, PM me.....
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I was taught about God as a child, but I didn't grow up in a religious home. We went to church every Sunday, and I attended Catholic school from 7 grade on. However we didn't talk about God or religion in our house, just wasn't my parents thing. I believed in God as a child but I didn't really start trying to understand what I believed until I was an adult.

I remember asking my parents for a Bible when I was in eighth grade because I was going to Catholic school so I told my mom may be we should own a Bible.  My aunt bought be one, either for my Birthday or Confirmation, I can't remember. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• "God's changed my life. Used to be into drugs, sold my body, promiscuous, suicidal. Jesus turned it around which proves to me He is real"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a drug OD and died.... That's when I quit doing drugs... No god involved there, just common sense.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I had a drug OD and died.... That's when I quit doing drugs... No god involved there, just common sense.
    --------------------

It may be common sense to you, but for some the addiction is so strong they cant get off. Maybe her faith in God helped her through that tough time. Not everyone can get off of drugs just like that. I watched my brother deteriorate with drug use and he OD'd and he still went back to drugs. It wasnt until he began to read and study the bible that his love for God and God's love for him helped him overcome his addiction.

PS. glad your sober, congrats!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My parents taught me about God as a child and we went to church, so I learned about God from Sunday school class as well. For the most part our entire family are believers as well so God is just part of who we are as a family...it's generational. I always have believed in Him, as far back as I can remember. As I grew older I had questions about God and at times drifted from Him but have always known He was there. The older I get and the more I grow in my relationship and faith in Him, the more personal He becomes to me. I learn more and more about His love, His grace, His provision and His power as I grow in Him through prayer, reading the Bible, fellowship with other believers and through my own personal trials and blessings. I also can't get past the miracle of life. When I look into my kids eyes or see an incredible landscape, I feel God. I will never believe all we have on Earth is a product of randomness.....NEVER.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I was in church at least 3-4 times a week starting very young....they pushed us to accept Jesus and all that so I did-otherwise I was going to hell, and what 4 or 5 yr old wants that?!?!?!
    I do not believe children should be pushed into religion or made to accept Jesus *or in my case basically threatened to do it
    It's rediculous to expect a child to understand what they are REALLY doing.
    The scariness of the churches I was raised in (people falling down in the isles- and speaking in tongues and crying), my parents pushing SO hard for me love God and learning that there were people who actually believed OTHER things / finding out about mythology is what casued me to leave it entirely.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I was saved from a suicidal attempt by Yahweh, and was given a choice [life or death] after I chose life I have found that this fits the description of Yahweh in the bible. Ever since I have been reading and learning from the bible and find it all to be true. This is why I know it to be true and try to share with others that he saves us from suffering of all kinds, but people always looked at me as though I was trying to boss them, so I just continue to be a worker approved for the day that is coming to glorify the heavenly Father once again! Blessings
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010