How do I stop my kitten thinking its litter tray is a bed?

We have just adopted a kitten,6 months old she is still running away from my kids,and has met the other older cat,slowly getting there,but I was told by the breeder she is toilet trained,she is a pure Ragdoll,but getting her to do her toilet buisness is taking it's toll,she eats then I put her in the laundry where her litter is and food which is in same room but not to close,but she gets in her cat tray with the hood and rests,like it's her bed,and doesn't do anything,she was in there for a whole night and half a day,when I felt sorry for her and let her out as wev'e only had her for a few day's,what do I do ? are there any Cat experts and cat lovers's that can give me some ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Can you bring her outside to play? And if she poops, scoop it and have her watch you put it in the litter and gently cover it with litter.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It really is not unusual for cats to sleep in the litter box. I have seen it many times. if she is not using the box at all you might try getting a bag of cat attract kitty litter it does a great job of encouraging cats to use the litter box.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Ask the breeder what litter they used and what kind of litter box. My one cat will sleep in a litter box with a top but not use it as a potty. I took the top off and have not had problems since.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I am a Vet Tech. Its not common for cats to lay in their littlerbox but there are cats who do. Its fine its their safe haven to be by themselves. Once she gets warmed up to the house and her surroundings she will be fine and not spend time around the litter box. Its like a dog that loves being in their kennel. Its a safe place for them.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I work at an animal shelter and all our cats do that. It's comforting, I guess. As long as they don't use it first, I don't really care...
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 5:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2010