Just turned 2 and already going "potty"

I have never seen a child at the age of 1 going on 2 already using the bathroom on his own! He got off the bottle a little before he was a year and now he is ready to wear big boy underwear. Has anyones child started this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I really don't remember when we started but my kids still have accidents, though we wear big kid undies and all.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes my son started around 2 and we were in shock! However that quickly stopped and hes a little over 3 now and still isnt potty trained. I have no idea what happend, he was sitting on the potty and everything and then just a few days later it all came to an end. We have another baby on the way who will be here any day now and many moms have told me not to really push untill after shes here cause he might regress and all that work would be for nothing so thats are plan. I hae attempted a couple more times after the age of 2, we did the only undies rule not diapers and even the rewarding system and he continued to pee right in front of me in his undies as if it were nothing. Not to mention as many times as daddy and I tell him to let us know when he goes poop nowdays he still wont tell us so were constantly checking him so he doesnt get a rash. Boys are just stubborn lol but I love him to death!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My mom had all 5 of us out of diapers before our 2nd birthdays (she said closer to our first birthday). Back then, everyone trained as soon as the baby started walking. But, now a days, larger disposable diapers with better absorbency and a clever marketing scheme by the diaper makers has every one believing that babies can't be trained until two-three years old. Not true! But it is the "new norm"

Good for you for having her trained "early". Mine all started around the same age, but we did have some minor relapses during stressful times between 2-3 years old. (when my parents died, when we moved)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• yes my son is 19 months and the only time he wears a diaper anymore is at night and when we are going out just in case, but he usually tells me it is my fault if he has an accident. He was also off the bottle at 11 months he just quit taking it
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes, my first daughter was fully trained (except for night time) at 19 months, and my second daughter has been day trained since 17 months and today she turned 19 months and she sleeps in underwear. But the reason you haven't seen it is that most parents don't really try that early anymore. Too worried about scarring their kids.. there are lots of myths out there about the dangers of starting "too early" or "pushing" kids... and yet... 90% of the population used to be trained by 18 months!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My 2 year old was about 20 months when he first started showing interest in using the potty. He had to use the big potty because he didn't like his potty chair. It has been a year and he still isn't completely potty trained but he tries.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2010