Homeschooling ?

I homeschool my kids, and every time the subject comes up with my mother in law, she mentions that she's heard kids have to obey or it won't work. Do you think she's trying to tell me mine don't or something??

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 4:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yup, she's insinuating that. Ignore her. You know if they are obedient or not, and if they're not, you know it's something you need to work on.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I dont know but whats it any of her buisness? That drives me crazy when the inlaws try and put there two cents in, I dont even talk to them any more really cause they get on my nerves so much but as long as the home schooling thing is working out for you thats all that matters. I have a 3 yr old son that I will be homeschooling along with my daughter who Im still pregnant with and trust me I have had my fare share of family sticking there noses where it dont belong. I tell them to parent there kids and I'll parent mine, another words mind there own buisness.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She probably is insinuating that. I would guess she has no personal knowledge of home schooling and just wants to shove her uneducated opinion about it on you.

…. Try to take it with “Grain of salt“…
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'm thinking that your MIL is nosey and needs to keep her opinions to herself, BUT as these are her grand children...she's not going to do that. Just smile, nod, and know in your head that you have made the choice that you thought was best for your children.

Good luck!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Well, you say you are homeschooling your kids.....so.....you already KNOW if it is working or not so it doesn't matter what she says. If your kids are doing great, then respond that way. Tell her you know that and you are so happy that you and your kids are able to do it since it is important to you.
    Is she uncomfortable with homeschooling? For many people, it is a really strange choice.....and it may be hard for her to accept. Maybe she wants to talk to you more about it....maybe you could share some information with her! (I am not a homeschooler and it is not something I am at all comfortable with, and I would probably prefer my future grandchildren attend school...so it would be a huge adjustment for me if one of my kids ever chose to homeschool their children....)
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:49 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Oh....and by the way, public or private SCHOOL won't "work" if the kids are not obedient either.....right??????
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She has set of steel ones if she is hinting that. My daughter home schools and her MIL some times says things that come out sounding stupid and offensive and she honestly thinks she is being helpful. As a retired teacher that dealt with adult ed and high school co-op students i found the ones who are HS are usually the better students. They respected their teachers and they worked well by them self and did not need to talk in order to get book work done.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• As a homeschooling parent myself I do believe that the kids do have to have a basic respect for their parents and the authority of the parent. Do my kids obey 100% of the time, NO because they are like every other child. However, they do know they have to do what mom says and that If the answer is NO then it's NO.  Perhaps your inlaws are questioning not so much your homeschooling, but if your children have simple respect for authority. If you tell them NO is it NO? Or do you cave and they get what they want? Who is really in charge at home? Granted I don't know you nor do I know any more then what was provide here. I'm just trying to give some suggestions and input for dialog. If you are the type that will cave and the kids end up with what they want, then perhaps they are worried that the kids won't get an education, because they didn't want to do it.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Of course I believe in finding a method of schooling that works for YOU AND YOUR child. So sometimes it's trail and error until you find that method. This is not the same as a child just flat out refusing to do work because they don't want too. It's also not the same as "unschooling". I know many unschoolers that it works for them. That's fine.... I'm sure you'll understand what I'm trying to say.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Everyone's answers were VERY encouraging- thank you!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2010