Why do we think we are fat??????

I am 4'11 and weigh 110 pounds. And I know that being only 110 pounds, I cannot be fat even if I am only 4'11. But why do I look in the mirror and get disgusted? I have been 15 pounds heavier & I swear I don't think I looked as "FAT" then! Are any women truly happy with their weight / bodies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Its movies and tv telling us we all must be a 0/2 and under 100 lbs,even if we happen to be 6 ft tall! i miss the 80's and 90's with its normal weight acceptance!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No the media is telling us all the time that even a size 4 is cause for an intervention. Most women can't get out of their head that imagine and compare themselves to it. Even the people on the magazines and in the movies don't look like that.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Maybe it is not that you are "fat", but that you are out of shape? Flabby looks waaaaay worse than actual fat, especially on a skinny body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Things took a turn with the last two responses! Uh-oh....possibly the effect of the media and the pressure to be PERFECT....these two anonymous women are examples of it perhaps. Bottom line....try not to buy into the media and societal pressure....
    We all know when we eat right and get a good amount of exercise, we are healthy. If we are healthy we should feel "good" and feeling "good" is attractive. Feeling down on yourself is never attractive, right? So, if we want to be attractive we need to STOP comparing ourselves and focus on the behavior and health aspects and look at ourselves realistically and "nicely". Feeling bad isn't motivational....and it isn't healthy and it isn't attractive!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The media has people convinced that women must be skin & bone to be beautiful. Frankly, I think bony women look disgusting. Women are supposed to have curves & some body fat.

According to health guidelines, I'm morbidly obese. I'm happy with me. My husband is happy with me. I'm a very active woman.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It is the media! My in-laws are from over-seas. They cannot believe that we have such extremes over here. We have people who are honestly fat and then those of your who think that you should be a 0 or 3. When I was growing up in the 80's, my goal was to weigh 100 lbs. I never gained weight until I had kids. Now I am 5 ft. 2'' and about 135. I love the way I look and feel! I never felt sexy or even that I looked good being that thin. Sure you can be skinny, but skinny is not attractive. You do not look good when you have no ass, or no boobs for that matter. Yucky!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well...i am fat haha (210, 5'8). but when i was younger i weighed 115 and i still thought i was fat (even though i was underweight). mainly b/c i wore a size 8/10. everything i read said that was a fat person size so i thought i was fat. little did i know id get to the point i am now...at least im losing weight (15 lbs so far, 15 lbs to go before July!). i wish ppl would go off of how they feel and less off of the size clothing they wear or the number on the scale. i mean ive met skinny women who cant keep up w/ me...thats pretty bad haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well i actually am fat, but on a diet lol. but it just sounds like you need to tone up not lose weight and that will make you look better eventhough you weigh the same kwim?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• yes i agree, you might just be out of shape and even though your weight is alright you may look "flabby", not toned and are just feeling fat, even though you are not. i also do not agree that it is the media. the media has gotten so, so much better than it was in the 90's. it is way more acceptable to be heavier than it was ten years ago. i think it comes down to the fact that woman are never completely happy with themselves. we all feel the need to want to fix something about ourselves. even thin girls find something about themselves they don't like or would change.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 10:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Maybe because most of us are FAT. Majority of American women are over weight...I know I am...I don't know one woman who isn't over weight. I am 5'6" and weigh 200. Granted I just had a baby 11 weeks ago, but still. I have been over weight ever since I had my first son 5 years ago. The smallest I've been able to get back down to is 165. Before I had kids I was 112.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2010