Looking too bulky / muscular?

I workout 4-5 days a week. I do cardio all of them days and weight machines on most. I feel like I am starting to look too bulky. I am 5'1 and weigh 111 pounds. Am I do more cardio then i do weights so why would I look like this? I want to be lean & toned!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i would first suggest getting an impartial opinion. i am 5'1" as well, and i understand all bodies are different, but i look good hovering at the top of our bmi and i have very broad shoulders, and don't look muscular bulky. maybe you could get evaluated by a trainer at the gym, and ask them for their honest opinion on your body.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• when you say you think you look too bulky, you think you are getting too muscular?
    I think the more muscle the better! you'll be stronger and most likely healthier!

I say be happy about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Maybe try switching to something a little lower impact or cross train. I am currently training for a marathon next fall, but I also do pilates or yoga 6 days a week to keep my body in tone with itself all together. It has given me a nice look, definition but not body builder.

Anonymous

• Cross training is a good idea...also maybe you are using more weight than you need, that will cause you to build more muscle. Are you using a supplement of any kind like protein shakes...how is your nutrition? There are lots of foods that can contribute to muscle mass and lots that can help you lean out. Its a fine balance...and its different for everyone since our bodies all work differently.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• pilates and dance are supposed to produce long lean muscles, and weight lifting short and bulky. maybe switching your routine might be a good idea.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2010