How long were you in the hospital for your second baby?

I hate the thought of leaving my 22 month old while we're in the hospital to have our second baby. I've heard that some hospitals let you leave earlier with your second baby. My first delivery was normal, no problems so I'm hoping that will be the case this time also. However, I will not leave until they let the baby leave also.
What were your experiences?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 9:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my second, we were in the hospital 24 hours. It was the rule for an uncomplicated delivery. I could have used another day, DD and I got no sleep that night due to other deliveries and being woke up for things that could have waited. But I missed my son and he missed me so much I was going to ask if we could go home anyway. When they walked in and told me to start getting ready to go, I was totally surprised and asked if she was being dicharged too. They said yes, that they just needed to do her check out assessment. Everything was fine and we both went home.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• 12 hours. The Hospital I went to was one of the first in the nation to have a birthing center. They also sent home early, After going over a huge list of things. The number to the OB ward that you could call 24/7. If you had any kind of problem. Also three days later a home nurse would come to check on you and the baby. And do the other blood tests.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son was 21 months when my second was born so I understand not wanting to leave him for very long. I was only there 4 hours after my second child was born but it was at a birth center (had the first in the hospital and had to stay 24 hours even though I really wanted to go home). I have heard that you can leave somewhat early from the hospital but you would have to ask what their policy is regarding leaving early.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• 1 week -- i had an early emergency c-section and pnemonia
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I ended up having a c-section so I was in there for 4 days with my 2nd. Probably should have stayed longer!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You can leave whenever you want, regardless of what they say. We left after 16 hours. They freaked because she was less than 24 hours old, but statistically, the higher danger zone is days 4-7 or something anyway. We would have left earlier, but we wanted the hearing test. I called my pediatrician, and she said she didn't need to see her until 5 days, regardless of when we left. It's not like they're monitored at the hospital anymore - they sleep in your room, and if they're in the nursery, no one has an eye on them every second, nor are they on monitors or anything.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We were discharged 24hrs after delivery.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 1:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2010