not sleeping through the night

my 2 and half year old son will not sleep through the night. When he was a infant he used to. when he turned about 18 months it he stopped sleeping through the night. He will wake up in the middle of the night, screaming and come crawl into our bed. It's an every night thing. Now it's getting worse. Last night he woke up about 7 times. I got up the first four. and after that i just let him cry. One time he got up crying and screaming and he peed on the floor. He's really good at not going to the bathroom at night. I can't remember the last time he did that. So my question to you other mothers out there, is this normal? should i talk to my doctor to see if there's more to this? i just don't understand why he can't sleep through the night...

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 9:59 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not an expert but maybe your son is havong a night terror. It's like a nightmare kids have and it makes them do the things you said. It's normal for all kids. If it still worries you, you can take him to his doc to see what he or she says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• night terrors every night? that is ridiculous. i could see if it was every once in a awhile..but this is a constant thing..
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 10:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• This sounds like a night-discipline problem. If your concerned, take him to the doctor. Then, once you're no longer concerned that something is wrong, you can get serious about forcing the sleep discipline. My older child was the same way, and eventually I had to just suck it up and not respond to his night wakings. I hate it when he cried, but reality is that good quality sleep is so important to a child's brain development and daily function. I had to change my perspective to "I'm the parent, and its my job to make sure his needs are being met- including his need for sleep."
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2010