What are your thoughts?

My cousin had her third baby in jan. He was 9lb 4oz. They say he screams if not fed every hour. SHe FF's. HE is now 17lbs and the doctor says he is fine and feed him as often as he wants. If it was me I would go to another doctor. I can't see how that his healthy.

suebee3

Asked by suebee3 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not healthy!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Some babies are hunger then others
    ..BUT if he was born in JAN why is she feeding him every hour?Formula fed babies should be fed 3-4 hours by now and rice on a spoon.My 14 month old is Formula fed and 19 pounds lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Rice cereal lol..not RICE
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Does he finish the bottle when fed or is he getting bits and pieces of bottles? If she knew he was truly hungry and and he ate an enire bottle at least 4 oz worth and wanted to eat an entire bottle one hour later, I would take him to another doctor to find out why. If he is eating bits and pieces of bottles every hour, then, she needs to wait for him a little longer between bottles and get him to finish a whole bottle, then, he will probably be content for a longer amount of time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If he was 9 pounds at birth he may not be getting full enough. My aunt-in-law told me that when her friend brough her baby home from the hospital he was 9 or 10 pounds and they told her to feed him rice cereal because he was wanting to eat all the time the doctor said he wasn't getting full enough. So maybe ask the doctor about giving rice cereal or just do what you think is right. I think I honestly was giving my kids cereal at almost this age I know they say not to, but it didn't bother my kids
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My DS was a lot like that- born 9lbs 10ozs and 20lbs at 4mos. He ate all the time. I did end up giving him solids early because, especially as a breastfeeding mom, I couldn't take it anymore.

If she's concerned, she should take him to another doctor, but I do know that my DS eats well, normally, and very healthfully (of his own choosing) now. (He'll be 5 later this week.) Keep in mind, every hour may be a bit of an exaggeration. My DS would eat ever hour for a few hours and then often take an hour or two off here an there.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• They are supposed to gain 4-6 oz per week. 6 x 4 = 24 oz a month at most. 1 1/2 lbs. 3 months at 9 4 oz, that'd be 13 lbs 10 oz. If he's 4 months he should be at max 15 lbs.
    He's about 2 or 3 pounds over that.He will likely slow down a little. If he keeps it up tho it'd be bad. Some babies are big/chubby and it's normal.

If he's FF how many oz is he eating per day? Ask. Normal is about 16 - 32 oz. Usually at 3-4 mos it leans around 24 oz. If he's eating more than that.. perhaps he is in pain.. Some babies with reflux/tummy pain will eat constantly to sooth the pain. Some babies have high suck needs - has she offered a paci? Is the only time she cuddles/holds her baby when she feeds him? If so, encourage her to hold him more/wear him... Does she react to every whimper with a bottle? Sometimes they'll take bottles when not hungry if they need comforting/love. Otherwise, yep, she should feed on demand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2010