What age can a child bathe alone?

My son is 5, and now when I give him baths I sit in the bathroom with him. What age did you ladies feel comfortable leaving your child in the bath alone..We have a regular bath tub..Not a garden tub or anything. he knows how to shut the water off, and he doesn't splash or stand up in there. I don't want to leave him in there and go mow the grass or anything(LOL) I just want to go fold some laundry in our bedroom(which is next door to the bathroom). Any advice would be great.

girllovescamo

Asked by girllovescamo at 10:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD is going to be 5 the 29th of this month and I have been leaving her in the tub unsupervised since she was 4. Our tub is hard to shut off so I always run her water and go down stairs then she yells at me when it is enough water so I then go upstairs and shut off the water I put soap on a washcloth have her wash herself, but if she is really dirty if she has been outside then I wash her to make sure she gets everywhere she is just learning to wash herself. I wash her hair then I leave to go downstiars again and let her play she will play in the tub until you tell her she has to get out. She was in there an hour the other day lol. If she is really quiet I will yell up the steps and ask if she is alright. I have her leave the door open, but she hates it closed anyway lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son has been taking baths by himself since he was about 4 years old. At that age, I ran the water for him and he got in and played for awhile and then I would come in and wash him up..otherwise he would still have been dirty if I let him do it,lol. He started washing on his own about the age of 6, but I always double checked to make sure he washed everywhere.(He's the kind of kid that loves to play in dirt,lol). Now he's 10 and I just remind him to wash ALL parts, wash hair,etc..if I don't..he will just jump in the shower for 5 seconds, and jump out without ever touching the soap.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• When DD was about 4 1/2 we started letting her wash her own body. We wash her hair for her, then we close the shower curtain and leave the bathroom door open while she washes her body. That way she still has her privacy, but it's easier to hear her if she needs help or if something were to happen.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 12:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My DD has been taking baths alone since the age of 2. I am right outside the bathroom in the loft, so I hear everything. I will wash her hair and body when she is ready to get out though.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son is 4.5 and he's been bathing alone to that extent for a long time now. I usually fold laundry while he's in the tub so I'm in the next room and walking back and forth past the door putting stuff away in his room and the linen closet too. Sometimes I clean the rest of the bathroom while he's bathing. I always closely supervise in the shower however because if I don't he just stands there until the water runs cold.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• mine did around 5.

and now my oldest (9) showers the youngest (3)

middle dd (6) prefers alone - and has since she was 5ish.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice! So nice to know, he can be in the bath sometimes for an hour..and I could be folding laundry instead of just sitting there! He washes himself when I tell him too, But from now on, Ill just come back and WATCH him do it lol that way I know it was done! Really Thanks so much...
    girllovescamo

Answer by girllovescamo at 6:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• at 4 i let her in the bathroom alone, but the door is open and i talk to her, and i go back to wash her hair when she's ready. she's 5 now and we do the same.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My kids are 3 and 1 and I do not leave them alone for a second in the bathroom .. I don't know when I will ...
    ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 12:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2010