Did anyone else wait until you were out of your teens to have sex?

I was a late bloomer I guess. I did have sex before marriage but I was well out of high school first. All but one of the girls I knew fairly well had sex in high school. Several of the ones who did have sex graduated having given birth at least once.

I had boyfriends and they did try to get sex but I wouldn't and that usually ended the relationship. I am the product of a teenage pregnancy and know how hard it is to raise a child with a high school education. I had no interest in sex then between tyring to get good grades so I could go to college and seeing how hard it was for my parents to hold everything together. My parents were also very clear; no sex, drugs or alcohol. So I didn't do those things.

Just wondered if I was alone in this. It seems like any post related to teens and sex has "they are going to do it anyway" somewhere in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I laugh at "They're going to do it anyway" because those people have given up. I waited for my hubby, and was not a teen when we got married. There was no way I was going to have sex in hs and become another statistic.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• nope, you're not alone. I was 20 and married (and yes I did have boyfriends in hs and college before I met DH).
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I, as well, 20 almost 21, married when I first had sex. And even then, I regret it. I wish I wouldn't have married that guy and waited longer.
    I don't believe that teens are sex crazed people. They do have self-control, but stuff happens!
    And btw- I'm far from being a purtiantical prude!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• OP - I'm not a prude either. I know things happen. But I also know everyr time I have ever seen one of these things happen, the teen livee in a home where parents didn't bother to enforce curfews or rules. I guess I'm a dinosaur at the age of 34.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I also the product of a teen pregnancy. My mothers life scared the doo-doo out of me. I never wanted that for myself or for my children. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with house rules and the strictness of parents. I only lived with my mother until I was 16 and moved in with my grandfather after that. My mother was beyond strict. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere or do anything. It was school, home, then banished to my room. Had I continued living with her, I probably would have had sex sooner, just to rebel against her. My grandfather was very lax with me. I came and went as I pleased, but never thought about having sex. I was busy enjoying life! Perhaps I'm a rare case, but I'm one to get into less trouble if given freedom and lack of structure!

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I was 15 years old. My parents never gave me the 'sex talk' or even told me I should wait. Maybe it was because we went to church, and they assumed I just knew from the times they taught adstences (sp?). One thing led to another and I had my first before I graduated from high school, and my second before I was 21. I wouldn't trade my life, but I do think parents need to talk to their kids about sex at a younger age because lets all get into reality sex is happening at a younger age. And as parents we can't stop it completely, but we can teach safe sex.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I didn't, but both of my sisters did. One waited until she was married and the other was in her 20s. I don't think it's ridiculous to expect a kid to wait, but I also don't want to convince myself that my kids will. I haven't gotten to that point in parenting yet, but I know I don't want mine having sex in high school!

I was very upset when my sister told me she lost her virginity. She was dating a guy who wasn't anything special. She just decided she was tired of waiting. A few months later, she broke up with him. I just wish people would see the importance of sex and what it does to a relationship.

I lost my virginity in high school, but I also am married to the man who I lost it to and I've never been with anyone else.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• no I didnt, but I did marry the man I lost my virginity to and the only man I have ever been with. we were both 15. we're about to celebrate 9 years together
    Anonymous

• I also the product of a teen pregnancy. My mothers life scared the doo-doo out of me. I never wanted that for myself or for my children. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with house rules and the strictness of parents. I only lived with my mother until I was 16 and moved in with my grandfather after that. My mother was beyond strict. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere or do anything. It was school, home, then banished to my room. Had I continued living with her, I probably would have had sex sooner, just to rebel against her. My grandfather was very lax with me. I came and went as I pleased, but never thought about having sex. I was busy enjoying life! Perhaps I'm a rare case, but I'm one to get into less trouble if given freedom and lack of structure.

You seem to have been quite a mature teen then.
    Anonymous

• i waited until i was 19. at the time i only really did that because i loved being chased and didn't want to have sex with a guy and have him turn around and hurt me. i didn't want to be used, so i just never gave in. it was more fun in my eyes to not have sex than to. now, i am happy i waited a bit longer but i wished i had waited for my husband.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 1:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010