Would you send your child to a party without a gift?

I would not. My 8 yr old had a party and the kids brought small gifts like Pokemon cards and 1 GI Joe figure. It was wonderful that they gave him a little token that celebrated the fact that it was his birthday. My oldest son once was given a home made birthday card as a gift. Again, lovely and thoughtful. Well one kid showed up at my 8 yr old b-day with NO gift at all. I thought it was incredibly rude for him to come enjoy everything we did for the party and not have a gift. I'm sure some will call me materialistic but I thought it was low class and I wouldn't do it. He was just a kid from the football team - not a good friend.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's tacky and rude to not show up with a gift. Especially since someone can make a gift for free with stuff they have if it comes to that. showing up with nothing to me would say. I want to eat the food and have fun but I didn't really care enough about the person to make any effort at all.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't send my kids to a party without a gift, but I wouldn't care if kids showed up at their parties without gifts (my kids wouldn't care either, and probably wouldn't even notice). Some parents really can't afford to buy gifts, but I don't want any to skip our party for that reason. My kids don't need any gifts, and having their friends with them to celebrate is the best part of the party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Did you send invites, maybe the mom didn't even know it was a party. If she knew it is her or dads responsibility to teach social graces and could at least bring a card. 

writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes, I sent invites and she RSVP's in person at the football practice.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• And the dad came and stayed with him at the party.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would not because my parents would never have allowed that and so I grew up feeling like that would be inappropriate. But not everyone feels like that so I am no surprised it happened.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yeah,I always have my son bring a gift with him to a party if we don't have the money, he doesn't go. But I wouldnt be upset if a kid came to his party without a gift, I know that sometimes money is hard for people and I think its more important for them to show up, that in itself is a gift.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would always amke sure my kids take gifts....and I would also be a little upset they could have atleast brought a card
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I never show up without a gift of some kind. And I hope my kids will never have to go to a party without a gift of some kind, but if we don't have the means or the money one day to send a gift I will not punish my child for that by not letting them go celebrate!!! And I would never be offended if a child or an adult came to a party we were hosting without a gift. Thats just not my nature, and I hope I teach my children well enough to know that its not about the gifts, but its about the company of the ones who came to celebrate!

And quite frankly, I think its ridiculous that you are upset about it and that you have the nerve to call the child and family low class! Be thankful that they cared enough to show up and celebrate your child's birth!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No- I think it's rude...at least bring a card!
    My daughter just went to a friend's SIXTEENTH birthday and we couldn't afford much-but went to the dollar store and got some incense and body spray and a card and she made her a comp CD... when she got home she told me she was the ONLY person who brought her anything. SAD
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2010