weaning and period question???

My daughter just turned 1 last week and over the past few months she has slowly started self weaning from the breast. Well for the past month it was down to only nursing her once a day which was to put her to sleep for the night. Well now over the past three nights she hasn't nursed at all! My first question is when should I expect my period to return? And how was your period after returning? Was it heavy and painful? I've been cramping pretty badly for the past week or so. Could this be my period coming soon? I'm pretty sure I ovulated almost 2 weeks ago due to my cervix position and CM.

Also, my daughter got shots on Thursday could that be the reason for her not wanting to nurse at all? And if so should I expect her to want to nurse again in a few days? Should I be pumping to keep my milk or should I just let them dry up? I want to start weaning but I want her to do her way! Thanks!

BethRae

Asked by BethRae at 11:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my period came back before I was done breastfeeding, so I can't help you with that one
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My period came back when DD was about 8m/o and started STTN (more than 6hrs between nursings). She's 10m/o now and still nurses 8+ times a day.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 12:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sounds like your period IS returning...and THAT can be a reason for her not wanting to nurse. The hormones will change the milk. Just let things be...make yourself available should she want to nurse. You're pretty well on the way to weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You're probably right about when you ovulated. My period came back about a month after the weaning BEGAN.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 6:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• sorry, somehow I completely missed the second paragraph.
    1) offer her the breast, but don't force it, if she's done she's done.
    2) if you're only nursing once a day, there's no need to pump. It is only reccomended while weaning to take away one feeding at a time, each week. This is to avoid a breast infection (they suck!).
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 6:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010