breast pump

ok sooooo I'm going out of town for the weekend and I always have issues pumping and I end up with a clogged duct :( 1st question will using a hand breast pump work better? I will also be bringing my electric pump. So I can use both. 2nd question what is the best hand pump? I currently have a medela electric pump.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You've already got the best. But no two women respond the same way. An Avent MIGHT work better for you. Or perhaps you've got the wrong size funnels for your nipples on your current pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It works great as long as I'm using it just for a couple of times, but whenever I use it for a couple day straight I have a problem. It's just the one side. It's like it doesn't all come out. I have a let down though. That why I was thinking a hand pump might be able to get it all out? I've never used a hand pump so I wasn't sure if it was worth a shot?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Perhaps try a warm washcloth on your breast while you're pumping that side? That may encourage the milk to flow. I prefer the electric pumps myself, and also if you can pump both sides at the same time that works best.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If your medela electric pump is not working well for you and you get plugged ducts when you use it, you may need a different size flange. They are not "one size fits all". If it is too big or too small it won't drain your breasts properly. Check out the info and pictures at GETTING A GOOD FLANGE FIT

and Choosing a Correctly-Fitted Breastshield

Adding some hand massage/expression can help too!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If you massage where you normally get the clogged duct while you're pumping that might help as well that way you have two different actions to help get your milk flowing.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2010