How often should I wash the pillow cases?....Lice

Ok, I just treated my 2 elementary daughters her were sent home this morning for head lice. I'm washing their bed things in hot water. How often do I need to do this? Once a week as usual? Or, every night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you should put it all, pillows, sheets, stuffed animals etc.. in a plastic bag for 2 weeks, then wash it and it should be good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• you need to repeat all steps shampooing combing out nits, washing sheets ect. you are suppse to repeat all steps in 5 days. Dont forget any stuffed animals and stuff like that bag them up for about 1 week.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• sorry 2 weeks
    mrsbean08

• From what I remember a couple years ago, we had to wash ALL bedding hot water twice, stuffy's tooclean top to bottom, & then you should be good to go.'I think you do the head treatment twice too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i just went threw this to weeks ago i washed sheets every day for seven days i also vacuumed all rugs everyday bagged stuffies washed all jackets and back packs , please be sure to do follow up treatment and using the nit comb everday is important treatment kills bugs but nits can and do survive .
    acrazylife4me

Answer by acrazylife4me at 11:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• oh and make sore to clean all brushes and combs in hot water
    acrazylife4me

Answer by acrazylife4me at 11:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Put all stuffed animals , and pillows in double bagged garbage bags and seal them tight, leave them alone for 1 week,, you need to get some lice killer to sprinkle on the sofa and rugs then vacum and throw away the bag. Put all combs and brushes in the dishwasher after a soak in 2 cups bleach to 1 gallon of water. You need to make sure to dry the linens on the hottest setting you have. I assume you treated the hair already, but they are pesky little creatures,,, also make sure if you have a dog to give him a bath with flea shampoo, this will kill lice as well! I am a hairstylist and this runs rampant spring and early fall. The nits are really hard to kill, so be sure to comb your kiddos hair with the comb that comes in the treatment kit! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You don't need to wash it daily but you should dry everything for at least 20 minutes on high. Also, our ped. told us to put Cetaphil on our son and saturate his hair totally then blow dry. The Cetaphil suffocates lice and blow dry kills eggs. You need to comb/treat daily and if you see a new louse five days into treatment, START OVER with another two week time frame. Lice life cycle.
    Anonymous

• When my kids had lice, I put the pillows in the dryer on high every morning AND put a clean pillow case on each night. The first day, every bit of bedding, carpet, cloth-covered furniture was washed, sprayed, and or vacuumed then until we got a handle on the nits, they were either kept off the couch or I put a sheet over it since washing the sheet was easier and better for them than spraying the chemical spray every day.

Don't forget to spray/vacuum their carseats and/or the back of the car where they sit.

The most important thing is to check their hair daily. It usually took two hours/day with my daughter. You have to take very thin sections of hair and look closely at it to find any nits; don't rely on just the combs to get them all as they don't always pull them out.

If you're worried about using all the harmful treatments on them, what worked for us was to slather her hair in olive oil, wrap it in saran... (cont.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• cont.- wrap then put a shower cap over it and let her sleep with it on. (Cover the top half of the beds with towels to keep the oil off everything.) Wash it out in the morning (you might have to wash more than once or use dish soap to get out the oil) then pick through the wet hair. The reason I leave it on overnight is b/c our local health department told us that lice can actually hold their breath for more than 4 hours (it could be 6, I can't remember now) so this smothers them. It worked really well, but I still had to pick through her hair daily for nearly two weeks just to be sure.

Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2010