Honestly when is the best time?HELP!=[

My DD is about to turn one less than 2 weeks.....she already pulls little tantrums hits her hands kicks her feet and the worse of it all bite her hands.....Now should I like spank her ( I mean when I say "spank" ...like tap her butt 1 or 2 times or no?) She gets into everything tears books wants to chew on this and that should I tap her hands or no? I am SO worried that someone will think I am trying to beat her to death or something but DH is deployed and he knows the things DD does ....he wants me to start making her behave....idk if I should or not! This is our first baby and I agree with DH but I do not want to do something to early and get her severely afraid of me....HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say no because she doesn't understand yet. I'm all for spanking if that's what has to be done, but not before they understand and can correct their behavior. I would try to redirect her or ignore her whatever works best. When she has a larger vocabulary and can convey what she wants and needs more effectively tantrums shouldn't be tolerated. But imagine you're in a foreign country with a new language and norms that you know nothing about; it's really frustrating and she doesn't know what to do. I say save punishment for when they can understand why they're being punished, otherwise you're just going to harbor fear and more bad behavior. Good luck I know toddlers are hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• lightly brush her hand with yours and tell her NO !!! you don't have to spank her just be consistent with saying and enforcing the no. Soon she will understand the meaning. Of course in about three months she will be saying it back to you as often as she can. Discipline means teaching  not punishment.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My pediatrician always told me distraction at that age. They don't quite understand punishment yet. If she's getting into something, remove it from her reach, and distract her with something else. I don't have any issues with spanking, but it won't do you any good if she doesn't understand. A firm "no" follow by distraction is the way to go right now.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 6:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010