Honestly when is the best time?HELP!=[

My DD is about to turn one less than 2 weeks.....she already pulls little tantrums hits her hands kicks her feet and the worse of it all bite her hands.....Now should I like spank her ( I mean when I say "spank" ...like tap her butt 1 or 2 times or no?) She gets into everything tears books wants to chew on this and that should I tap her hands or no? I am SO worried that someone will think I am trying to beat her to death or something but DH is deployed and he knows the things DD does ....he wants me to start making her behave....idk if I should or not! This is our first baby and I agree with DH but I do not want to do something to early and get her severely afraid of me....HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd say a light tap on the hands when she's tearing soemthign up would be ok at this point
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 11:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Even a mobile 6 month old is capable of learning discipline and bounderies. So, at almost one, she should have the capacity to understand punishment for actions. I say a tap on the butt or hand is fine...you AREN"T beating her. She is already showing issues that clearly need to be stopped. You could try time-outs first if you would feel better. My son and time-outs were a joke. He would sit and go right back to whatever..so, I did give pops. You could try taking things away, but, she might not grasp that concept. Getting on her level and talking about it and re-direction are other good things to try first.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My DS is going to be 1 on Saturday. He knows when Mommy or Dad say "No." It means no. If he touches it again, I will smack his hand, and if it's something he KNOWS not to touch, (eg.. the remote to the t.v., as soon as we are neither one looking, he will grab it!) I will take it away, say, "That is not for you to play with." Give him a spank, and send him on his way. I only spank just hard enough to get his attention, not to hurt him or associate fear.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Oh, and thank God I haven't had to deal with the tantrums. The most I ever get out of DS are a scream here and there. Sometimes he will cry at my feet for something he can't have, but he doesn't know how to hit, kick, or any of that out of anger. I wonder where they pick that up sometimes...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I wonder where she has picked any of this up at! I mean I do not bite my hands or kick and scream......I have never even cried in front of her....I only allow her to watch the Mickey Mouse show on Disney then the tv is cut off until the next morning when it comes on again.....I just feel like a failure her doing this now....everyone says she is a good baby....she is far from good....she used to only pull the tantrums at home...now its getting to be anywhere she goes.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The nice thing about spanking a diapered butt (plastic disposable) is that it makes a loud noise! You need to be saying NO and removing her. You need to try time out. You also need to keep her busy with constructive activities. They all have different personalities and different things work on different kids.  Don't be afraid to be the parent.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't spank- doubt if it would do much good.
    you say she's getting into everything- has your house been baby proofed? Move the stuff out of her way-
    and no, I don't think that is unreasonable to ask someone to do if you have a child.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to spank her, tap her butt or her hand. Honestly, all you have to do is do time outs.
    One Warning. "Susy, you climb on that again and you're getting a time out." If she does it again she gets a time out. One minute for every year she is old. so two minutes in time out for her. Some things warrent an instant time out. Like if she tears a page from a book, hits someone, throws a drink across the room, etc. Find a place where she cannot play with any toys, view the TV, listen to any radio, or anything else that might entertain her. She will most likely get up after you get her there. Say "Do not get up again, you are in time out for ...., so you need to stay." Be firm, look her in the eye, and set her back down. If she gets up, do not say anything to her the next however many times she gets up. Eventually she will get it and she will stay. Be consistant, stand your ground, and follow through. (Cont)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• (Contin) A child doesn't have to learn this type of behaviour from somewhere else. Children are smart individuals and will learn quick from their own trials what gets you to react what way. If you give in, then they will continue to push those same buttons to get you to give in again. Don't bribe her with treats, toys, special trips, because then you're only inticing her to continue that bad behaviour to get those special treats. The second they learn what manipulates you, they will use it to their full advantage. That's why you need to be sure that you're controlling the situation.

If you're out in public and she throws a tantrum. You grab her firmly (but not so it hurts her) and you say in a stern voice "Suzy, if you continue we are leaving, and you will get a time out once we get home." If she continues, then you grab her and your things and you walk from the store and she goes in time out. It'll work, trust me.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2010