Do you celebrate birthdays if they fall on a weekday?

My daughter will be turning 17 on Friday. I had a big Sweet 16 party for her last year. Also, do you do anything special the morning of their birthday and when they leave for school?

Futuregirlzone

Asked by Futuregirlzone at 12:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• usually we let them pick what they want for dinner- and cake...party is on the weekend either before or after- before school? nothing other than saying Happy birthday!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• DH and I celebrate birthday's with just us, and DD on a weekday. All family parties always occur on a Saturday.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes!
    When my kids were younger, we either did a B'day party on the weekend before or after. (usually before)
    During the week, they got special treatment, such as their favorite meal, or take out. Their favorite TV show with family, etc.

Even when there wasn't a party where all of the family & friends came, we still had a "just us" B'day celebration, with cake & ice cream. It shows that even though they are getting older, you still love them & want to show your love & respect for them!
    catysnanny

Answer by catysnanny at 12:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We do our family celebration on their actual birthday and IF they have chosen to do any kind of celebration beyond family, its done on the weekend.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• YES! kids love to feel special.

go to the party store and get her something she can wear to school (like a pin that says B-day girl)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My oldest's bday was last Friday. I didn't have the money to give her a party just yet, so we set it for 2 weeks, when I get paid again. She doesn't care, she's just happy that she gets a party. And because her bday fell on Good Friday, she didn't have school anyways, so we spent the day together. We went to the movies and out to lunch and we had a blast, just me and her. If their bdays fall on a school day, I will pick them up after school and go do something with them the same day. But when it comes to parties, I save those for weekends, regardless of when their actual bday was. This year she gets to invite a few friends over, some of them will be staying the night. She is so excited!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010