Help Maternity Leave-

I am due early July, I would like to take a couple of weeks off before our little man is here. When is a good time to start the paper work? I want to have a natural birth but may have to plan another c-section, can anyone help on what I need to do/plan for maternity leave?

Also, in my office there is no such thing as an "HR" dept. My office manager is no help at all to this, so I am pretty much on my own.

supermom4matt

Asked by supermom4matt at 12:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• HR or not your employer is the one who has to provide you with FMLA paperwork. As long as you have been an employee for 12 months, you qualify for FMLA. Most employers allow 6 weeks for maternity leave. You need to ASK your employer what they allow. You need to ask your employer to provide the paperwork, and know when they need it turned in by. They should be able to answer EVERY question you have about it. PLUS - consult your employee manual.

Anonymous

• I would warn you against taking a few weeks off before the baby is born, it will still count towards your allowed maternity leave and you will be sitting around waiting for a baby to come. I worked up until the friday before my due date, and my DS ended up being over a week late, so I ended up being able to take less time off after he was born
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would advise you too keep working for at least until your due day. Bcuz at least if your working you have other things to keep you busy and your not just waiting for the baby. Bcuz that will drive you crazy. And also your gonna want as much time off afterward as possible to spend time with your new baby.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 12:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think you need to go the head boss and see exactly what your protocol is for your company! I am in agreement with the not taking the first couple of weeks off, I worked up until my due date then DS didn't come and I had to go back 2 weeks earlier than planned--after an emergency C-section! I was so sore,,,I wished I had those weeks back! Happy birhting!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• These answers are not correct depending on what stae you are in. I do HR. In cali you get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after for vag 8 for csec. If you dont take the 4 weeks before you loose them. They cannot be added on to the leave after the abbies born so TAKE THEM. Also your doctor will provide you with the papers in most cases they will fill them out for you and mail them but of mine did. And I just had one i nJanuary. Email me if you want correct info?
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 12:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Here is the form you get have your dr sign and mail in http://www.state.nj.us/labor/tdi/WDS1.pdf that is for new Jersey. You are entitled to a total of 12 weeks!
    Anonymous

• I dont know why I just posted that annon...I was the same one =>
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 12:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It sounds like you work in a small office. Your employer isn't legally required to offer FMLA if it has less than 50 employees at that location (or within 75 miles of it). Before getting too far ahead of yourself, here's a good resource for the actual laws.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/finalrule/NonMilitaryFAQs.pdf
    Anonymous

• It depends on if you want paid,,,I wasn't stating the law earlier, my leave was unpaid,, so that is why I had to go back early!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• anon....maternity leave weather they have 2 or 4 employees they have to give the manditory 12 weeks...Thats a state wide law...Additional time off is the under 50,...My employer has 14 people he has to offer maternity leave but not paid family leave or additional time off!
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 1:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010