Stem Cell Research... are you for or against it? WHY?

Q: Do you see the harm in religion manifesting itself in our government?

A: Yeah, on many levels. The fact that we are not funding stem cell research is an explicitly religious constraint upon our medical research. This is the effect of having millions of people, one of whom is the president of the United States, believing that the human soul enters the zygote at the moment of conception and therefore you can’t privilege one soul over another, even if one of those souls happens to be in a petri dish and the other soul is a little girl with a spinal cord injury. This seems to be an ethical dilemma which requires strenuous debate to resolve, and at the moment the debate has been resolved on the side of let’s do nothing. Let’s not fund this research.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am for it. I think anyone who says no is being selfish. If the cure for MS could be found in stem cells, I am wondering what are we waiting for?!! People need to stop looking at it from an emotional point of view, (abortion issue) and look at it, instead, through a scientific point of view, I think the outlook would be different.
    WHY we should waste stem cells that could help people ALREADY LIVING, is beyond me. We are talking about people who are already born, living their lives, but stricken with illnesses that limit their living. where is the concern for those people? Where is the emotional outpouring for people who have already establishes a life, but struggle day to day?!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You've talking about the use of embryo stem cells. There is no evidence that those cells are any better than other cells. There are new procedures being done everyday using other sources for stem cells. And research is being funded all over the place by private party's.  Why stop at embryo's?  Newborns haven't really lived yet, should we harvest organs from them?

Anonymous

• I'm for it. And feel ppl need to stop focusing on the aborted fetus position. because A. the babies would have been aborted anyways, and B you can get stem cells from umbilical cords. Theres a world of good if ppl can look at it as turning a tragedy 9someone aborting a child) into a miracle (saving someones life). We are never going to be able to stop abortions. And I think THAT is the major issues ppl have with stem cell is they are stuck on that one fact. I have a very close friend that has watched his mother suffering because of her fathers illness. he doesn't even know his own name anymore. and if stem cell could help bring that family back together I am all for it. There are so many ill and dying ppl out there. and I feel that we need to move forward as a society and separate religion from the laws that govern us as a whole.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Earthmomma if option B is a viable option why do you need option A? I am against it. We have seen the tragedy of MS in my family and the doctors where very vocal about telling their patients how to vote because they think embryo cells are the way to go. But even IF this option would cure my loved one I still would be against it.

Anonymous

• I am FOR it!

My MIL died of ALS before I had the chance to meet her. ALS can be genetic and there is not only no cure, but almost no treatment either. Stem-cell research could help find cures for these people and although I hope my DH and kids are never stricken if they are, it could save them. Plus AIDS, Cancer, and many other illnesses could be cured through more research. Why would anyone be against that?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I am for it my DH has MS and if it will help find a cure sooner I say go for it.
    Anonymous

• I am against it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• They care more about the souls of an unborn blastocyst than the souls of say a 3 year old girl living in pain, knowing she's going to die soon from cancer! Her parents praying and wishing for another day with her. Wishing to see her marry, to walk her down the isle, but knowing they'll never get to.

I find something VERY wrong with that picture.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The law is in place to protect the weak from those who would profit from their deaths. Did you know that rather than abort at 10-12 weeks an stem cell provider would rather wait and collect more "product?" Isn't that disgusting? Should it really be legal?
    Anonymous

• 100% FOR it.

It NEEDS to be done to save ACTUAL lives.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2010