bringing home a spayed female cat at 2 months of age and with 17month old child

i got a kitten from the shelter who is being spayed at just 2 months of age and im bringing her home today. does anyone know what kind of special care i have to do for her to be safe? also how do i introduce a 17 month old boy to this kitten and how do i show my son not to play with the litter box. thank you

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 12:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Get the litter box with the lid on it! You teach him not to touch it the same way you do the stove,, make sure you are with him when the kittty is around and show him gentle touch,,,, how lucky he is to have a pet,, DS is best friends with our cat,, they came about the same time!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Since the kitten was just spayed I would not allow your 17 month old to have contact with her for about a week. Depending on when she was actually spayed she needs time to heal. Sher should have the same instructions as a 6 month old kitten she is just smaller. I used to work at a clinic where this is all we did all day was spay/neuter animals and as long as the kitten was 2 Ibs, we would do them. None of them had any complications.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• thank you for your help. i thought about confining the kitty to my room and give her plenty of room to be alone for a while. i like the idea with the litter box with a lid on it. im hoping as long as my baby doesnt see a litter box he wont play with it. im probably going to hide it in the closet or my bathroom.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 3:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'd also suggest Yesterday's News Litter-- it's from paper and it doesn't get stuck in the surgical area. Some kittens will hang out in the litter box when they are uncertain. It's better than the clumping and clay litters post surgery.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Give the kitty her own space to quietly recover, such as the laundry room or a specific bathroom. Give her a bed, a litterbox, and her food and water there, and spend time with her alone each day.

Keep the child and the kitty completely separate for at least a week, or until your vet says she is completely healed.

Once the kitty is healed, I would recommend that you keep this "recovery room" as the "cat's bedroom"; that is, give the cat a space where she doesn't need to be on the lookout for a child. When introducing your kid to the cat, monitor them at all times and show your child how to pet gently and not pull on the cat's tail/legs.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010