What to do about my son and his love of scouting??

My son wanted to join so bad, so we did. We live in a RURAL area with lots of people a bit different from us... We went on a recent Cub scout camp trip... After the kids went to bed, the leader starts talking about how much beer he can drink and how he wishes he had some. The group was talking about how they drank so much at the pool ,with the kids... The leader was talking about how glad he is so glad that one lady didn't come and how he wishes he could "shoot her right in the head" then showed everyone with his index where the bullet would go. They cuss..they are rude.....These people were throwing trash in the fire (GROSS!) and in general seem like idiots, not leaders. I want him out - he loves it! What do I DO??? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do you live near a national or state park? In Georgia, they have a Junior Rangers camp and activities for 6-12 year olds. Maybe he might be interested in joining something like that. Or maybe there is another scout troop he could join. If not, then contact the Boy Scout headquarters for your local area. This behavior is not acceptable from an adult leader.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• have your dh or an uncle or a grandfather go on the camping trips with him...he could be an assistant leader.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would have felt very uncomfortable! Like jeremy'smom said, look around for other scout-like activities! I'd also contact the headquarters. I wouldnt think that drinking alcohol is even aloud as long as they are on boy scout's watch and just them talking about that stuff...I wouldnt want them alone with my son and the other kids!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• can you start another cub troop? are there other parents that feel the same way you do or all they all like that?
    Anonymous

• You should be able to change troops. Contact the person in charge of scouting in your area (obviously don't bother talking to the troop leader) and ask to be put in another troop. You could also start your own, but let me tell you, it's a lot of work.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• OP HERE ---I don't want to start a group, my hubby and I work all the time. We are small town, he has this group for his age-grade or no group. Should I just tell my son ,sorry, it's OVER?
    Anonymous

• holy smokes what if these guys do decide to drink they would be putting your son and the other kids at risk. I would immediatly pull my son out,this is just unacceptable.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• REPORT HIM!
    Anonymous

• Call your Boy(Cub) Scouts Regional Leader (or whatever they are called). Report this guy. They can replace him with another leader.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 4:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• report him. and find a new group.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010