i have a 2 year old and i need help with him getting in trouble what could i do timeout doesnt work but i havent tryed popping his butt or his leg thats what my husband says do just not hard just enough to prove to him i will pop him not just put him in time out what can i do have any ideas ??

kati123418

Asked by kati123418 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• i personallly wouldnt pop him, but that's just me. I think that popping a kid will only teach them that hitting is ok and teach them fear. I've never had an experience with needing to give my son (almost 2) a time out, so hopefully you'll get some answers!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• what kind of trouble is he getting into? He's only 2- what do you mean a time out doesn't work? are you being consistent? how many times have you tried?
    maybe you could take away certain toys if need be.
    Anonymous

• My best advice is take a parenting class or get a book on toddler discipline. You can probably find a Love and Logic or 1-2-3 Magic book at your library. Either of those will give you some good effective discipline techniques to use with your little one. I didn't think timeout worked either until I learned how to do it effectively.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2 and won't stay in her time-out spot. Sometimes if you put them in the "spot" over and over until they realize you're not kidding, that will do the job. But then I think maybe she's a little too young and try a different approach if it's just not working. Sometimes, I sit with her on my lap in the time-out spot, and sometimes we make her have time out outside a big glass door on our back porch where we can see her. Last night, she wanted to take some Easter eggs to bed with her, and she got in trouble for not minding me, so I sent her to bed without her Easter eggs. That usually works. If she's about to do something bad, I ask her, "Do you want to have babies in your bed tonight?" She'll say, "Yes," and give me that guilty look. And I'll say, "Then do what I asked you to do, " and she'll do it usually. I have a 4-year-old son, and I don't think it's good to spank because they will think hitting is okay
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I had a piece of carpet (it was actually a free sample from Home Depot or something like that) and I said "you are going to time out because you_______" I picked her up plopped her on it facing away from me and stood/kneeled a few feet behind her for 2 mintues turning her around or sitting her back down when she tried to run away or cry at me. It is rough in the beginning because they are now learning they can not do whatever they want like they used to as infants but use 1 minute for each year and be consistant. I don't pop either because I don't really agree with it but removing my daughter immediately from the situation and putting her directly in time out has worked wonders. When the 2 minutes is up turn a whole new page in your day...give hugs and move on.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2010