Do you think "fiance" loses its meaning when...

when you already have 2+ kids together....I know it sounds kind of small minded ...but if you have more than 2 kids with a person and are engaged ( meaning not against marriage)....why are you waiting ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Thanks OP I totally get you were not being judgemental,,,the word just sounds silly!!! I have a 55 year old friend married about 5 times and everytime she introduces her 70 year old boyfriend as her fiance,,,, I have to try not to giggle!!! I guess it bothers me that women can talk about a big wedding after kids, because maybe I am old fashioned! I just think by that time your money is better spent on your family! I don' t think anyone should have to apologize for having an opinion!!! By the way I think the word "lover" is creepy too!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Don't wait. Go to city hall and have an easy marriage. If you are good enough to bare someone's children you should be good enough to have the title "wife".
    Anonymous

• I think it loses its meaning... I dont get it either, if you are living together and have kids and want to get married "eventually" just do it already!!!
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds so silly,,, well we have 3 kids but are waiting to get the money to have our big wedding--PLEASE! I think if you want to be married just go and do it,,, most of the time these situations occur when the man doesn't want to get married,, but is keeping the peace with the hope!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes, fiance does not seem like the correct term in that situation. I also think boyfriend and girlfriend sound strange for a couple that has children together, or a couple that has lived together for a long time. Maybe we need new words to describe these relationships.
    Anonymous

• Maybe so, but I understand wanting a real wedding -- especially if it is the woman's first wedding. Most women dream of that moment our entire lives. I say do it right and have the wedding of your dreams or at least as close as you can get with the budget you have.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes just like the word husband loses its meaning when people introduce someone as their husband and they are not even married, that just drives me nuts, if you want to call them your husband then marry them!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• To me if you have any kids with a Fiance is silly to me. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We have a new word "Significant Other" I believe it came into vogue in the 70's when people started doing this kind of thing.  at least then they had the decency to be divorced once or twice and admit that they had given up on marriage and were just living together and trying not to drag anymore kids into the situation.  Now Idon't know, people must have been told too many times that if you get married young your chances of divorce go up.  So they just don't get married, have kids anyway, break-up, move on to the next one.  It doesn't seem to have improved anything.  Did you want a special new term that included the existence of children?

Anonymous

• Doing it right includes having the wedding ceremony before the kids. Sorry.
    Anonymous