Is it hard for you to be proud of your child(ren) but not boast about them and their accomplishments?

My DD is almost 2, and I'm not going to sugarcoat or downplay it, she is very smart. Don't get me wrong, she is a 2 year old, and she has her bad days, and we have worked really, really hard to help her learn and accomplish all that she has. The problem is, I find myself telling people about how great she is, she has done this, or she has done that. I am just so proud of her, but I can feel others getting annoyed with me. When I stop and THINK about it, I can refrain from spilling my guts about my amazing kid, but it is hard to keep that in mind all the time..

Anyone else have this problem and/or know how I can take it down a notch or two?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have that problem. My son was crawling at 3 months, standing with furniture at 4 1/2 months, standing without furniture at 5 months, taking steps at 6 months and walking at 7 1/2 months. He's almost ten months old and he walks just as well as his 2 1/2 year old sister. He's amazing...and I'm always bragging about him lol...hes extremely smart for a baby and I don't know how to take it down a notch because I don't care, he's my son and I'm proud of him, so I'm going to talk about it.
    Anonymous

• I save bragging about my kids for conversations with my DH, Mom, or MIL. They appreciate the awesomeness of my kids and don't feel threatened by having less accomplished children.

Anonymous

• I am there too, I have a 14 year old who has developed into playing baseball...last year he had alot of potential and his coach wouldn't give him the time of day..he worked really hard over the summer and during the school season, this season we discovered that the kid has a great arm for pitching...everyone has come up to us this season so far saying how great he is and how much he has improved...it's like a different kid. His coach from last year never wanted to give him a chance to try a new position so he hated the position he played and didn't put much effort into it...I just want to go up to his old coach and tell him "see we told you so!" During a game between the coache's son's team my son pitched 5 innings and had 11 strike outs-dad and I were so proud of him, it was hard to keep quiet-
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No I don't have a bragging problem. Yeah my daughter is pretty smart but why go around telling everyone about her accomplishments.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Don't talk to people that don't want to hear about your kids. I personally love talking about my son and hearing about all the cute, smart, fun things all my friends kids are doing. If they don't want to hear about don't be friends with them.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sister, I think every mom has that problem. It is really an amazing thing to see kids grow up. I mean, we see them go from tiny helpless blobs to talking machines in two years. I feel like my son is a whiz kid and in some ways, I know he's advanced. But in other ways, he's just like the other 2 year olds. I have to remind myself that 1) no one really cares how many animals he can name or how high he can count and 2) just because he walked earlier than most or spoke in sentences before the average kid doesn't mean he's better than someone else's.

Our kids are amazing and well worth gloating over, no matter how "typical" their achievements are. It's truly wonderful to see what areas they excel in - and most do have an area or two. I sneak my words of praise in during conversations and tell others that I can't help being proud. I'm a happy mama. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Just remind yourself, you are NOT the first to have reproduced...it has been done before lol. It is great to be proud, what is not great is to be one of those moms who just doesn't know when to shut up. Watch for eye rolling..it is a sign you are being over bearing.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Crawling at 3 months? Yeah right.
    Anonymous

• You have to realize where to draw the line between being proud of your daughter and bragging about her. If you brag about her her whole life, chances are she'll learn to be arrogant in life. She should grow up learning to be proud of her accomplishments without the sense of superiority over others. You must teach her that everybody is different and different people are good at different things. Your daughter isn't any better than anybody else's child and if you are coming across that way, I can see where they would be offended. She may be better at SOMETHING but she is not and will not be bettter at EVERYTHING.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 3:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Walking/crawling early doesn't measure how intelligent a child will be... If you're proud of your children that's great, you should be... Who cares what others think, they are your children. I can honestly say no one has ever boasted about their children to me.. My nephew is 17, a senior in HS, and taking college courses, has an extremely high IQ , but my sister doesn't brag to everyone about him. If they know him they will ask but otherwise he's just your normal average 17 yr old pimple faced boy,lol... I think when your children hear you brag about them constantly it sets unrealistic expectations, and a sense of entitlement in children. I do think they should be praised for a job well done, etc, but bragging about them just sets you up for a huge let down in the future... Sorry JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2010