Hamster dead help me now!

My sons hamster got out last night we thought we would find him well I did find him the cat and dog were playing with him. He is now dead. Should I replace it before my son finds out? He is 5 and the hamster was his best friend I know he is going to be crushed. I will take any advice!!!

indigo645

Asked by indigo645 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (-18 Credits)
  • I'd replace it. I have a funny story about a similar situation. A friend of my sister's had a young son, and he had two turtles....one of them died, so they wanted to replace it...well they could only find one that was significantly bigger than the one that died...so when he asked, why is my turtle so big? They told him that while he was away, they "Ninja Turtle-ized it" lol. Then he said, "WOW! Can you Ninja Turtle-ize my other turtle too!?" Lol. He fell for it, and he never knew...I would totaly replace it..you don't want to have to deal with the heart break he will go through...
    Anonymous

• I'd replace it. Having the dead/heaven thing is hard with such a young child.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would run to the pet store and get another one.
    Anonymous

• replace it fast before he gets home. Make sure the new hamster has the same temperament.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Don't do that...tell him the truth, the hamster got out and now it has passed away. Then, decide if he would like a new one oe wait awhile. Geeze. He is old enough to grasp the concept and learn a little life lesson. By, sheltering him from it...what will it really acomplish? What if Grandma died? You can't replace her...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Exactly what BradenIsMySon said! Tell him the truth! You DO NOT want him to find out the hard way about death. If you replace the hamster he is going to think everything and everyone can be replaced and they don't have a grandma store...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would be honest too. My son had a pet die at the age of 5 and handled it a lot better than I though he would. Then if you want to get another pet, you can go together. But make sure the escaping problem is resolved before you do that of course.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• totally agreed with Braden's mom :) I wouldn't say they dog and cat killed the hamster...he doesnt need to know all that...but he is old enough to understand that things die. He should be able to decide if he wants to replace his friend...A new little buddy may help him heal and you would have taught him a great lesson of life.
    Anonymous

• Five is old enough to comprehend death. I would tell him the truth that the hamster is dead and will not be coming back, then take him with you to go buy another hamster (if he wants to).
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 2:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Tell him the truth and let him have a ceremony to bury the pet. Let him deal with the loss for a short time and when he is ready buy him a new one. This is life, better to learn at a young age with pets.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2010