Pregnant and drinking...

Ok, first of all, I want to point out I have an IDU, I have had one for almost two years, since I had my DD.

Now, I am normally not much of a drinker. Most of the time I'll drink once every other month or so, and even then it is 2-3 beers.. not much ever. So I went on vacation to Las Vegas three weeks ago, and needless to say, I drank. Quite a bit, actually. A LOT more than I ever do otherwise. Well I have not been feeling good this week, and this morning I took a test, and it came back positive.

Now I am freaking out because I don't know how far along I am, and I don't know if I was drinking a lot when I was pregnant. I made an appointment to go into my midwife, but the appointment isn't for another two weeks. So I have to be tortured for two weeks waiting to find out how far along I am, and whether or not the drinking could have effected baby.

Has this happend to you, how did it turn out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There's no point in stressing about what you can't change. The stress is not good for the baby. You can't change that you drank while you may (or may not) have been pregnant. But, you can change the amount of stress that you are now feeling. I know that it may be difficult, but you need to try and relax. Do what you can now to have a healthy pregnancy. Most doctors tell you not to worry about what you did before you were pregnant simply because you can't change it. Good luck. I hope you have a happy, healthy baby.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 2:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Any will doctor will tell you not to worry about this. You more than likely were too early into your pregnancy to do any damage at all. ALOT of women do alot of drinking until they find out they are pregnant. I was pregnant on New Years with my first dd and didn't know...needless to say it was a fun booze filled night and then soon after I found out I could have been prego. Oh well, not somethng you can worry about! :) Congrats on your pregnancy!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think that the only time you need to be concerned is if you continue to drink that way over the entire course of your pregnancy. Obviously it is not your norm and I've known a few different people this has happened to...their babies are fine. I'm sure your baby is fine! Congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• dont stress! now that you know u r pregnant just dont drink anymore. I drank a lot one night and really felt weird later on....nothing like I've ever felt before. a few days later I took a test and that was why lol. but my baby was fine. get an appt asap and buy some prenatal vitamins!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I did the same thing with my first. I didn't know I was pregnant til 10 weeks and drank quite a bit in those 10 weeks. I have a beautiful and healthy baby girl! Just don't drink anymore, and try not to stress! Worrying wont do you or baby any good at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2010