Is it okay if MIL tells your baby in babytalk "Your mommy is so mean!"? Your thoughts

She did it because I was twirling his hair into little horns due to the rest of the party talking about my 5 month old's hair. She decided she had to tell my son in baby talk that his mommy is mean in front of the Easter party, though. In my opinion, not cool. Should I be concerned she'll do this sort of thing on an ongoing basis??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• If I was right there, and heard it, I'd make sure MIL heard me say something about her. "Gramma's old and losing her mind, don't mind her." Oh, I'd have fun with that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I dont think it's a big deal...she was clearly joking. We say things like that all the time...obviously she really doesn't think you're mean to him otherwise she would have really told you you were mean..i wouldn't worry about it, unless yours that crazy that something that little would bother you
    Anonymous

• Just a one-time thing in a joking manner? I don't see any reason to be bothered with it.
    I like Pnukey's response! :)
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If this was a one time thing I'd let it go. If she makes it a habit of talking like that about you to your baby then I'd speak up and nip that in the bud.
    Pnukey--- LOL at your reply, I love it!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Again I'm with Pnukey, I don't think she was being mean, but if you played with it and have fun with it , it probably won't become a big deal.....You seem a little sensitive......

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• At least she sugar-coated it. My MIL would straight out tell me what she thought I was doing wrong or how horrible my kids are.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• no...its not cool! its like my SIL did at one time she was babysitting for a nieghbor's child, she said "your mommy's a B**ch " and so i felt obligated to go and tell the neighbor...what waffletwats lol
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sounds like she was joking...my thoughts, lighten up.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• lol, yea just a little sensitive. normally things like this would be funny but I recently had to set boundaries because of her past actions. When I set boundaries she told me I needed counselling, demanded I pay her for a gift she gave me, and refused to acknowledge any err of judgement on her part. So I'm just making sure boundaries are maintained...
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would smile and say, "Hell yeah. I *AM* the Meanest Mommy In The World, and don't you forget it!"

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010