Has anyone ever used an exterminator for Carpenter Bees? If so how much did it cost?

I tried to clean off the front porch and had Carpenter bees hovering all around me. They're hovering in the doorways and by the garden hose. Saturday I went up in the attic and there was one up there. Each year there seems to be at least 1 that gets in the house in the kids' bedrooms. I'm concerned because 1 of my kids has bee sting allergies and I have a 9 month old. And to be honest, they just freak me out. I'm on a budget though and was wondering how much it cost.

angiewith2

Asked by angiewith2 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• never heard of carpenter bees...ants yes.They have to be relocated.If you dont have the nest in your yard,just spray the ones you see with hairspray
    Anonymous

• My inlaws have had serious trouble with carpenter bees. They are not easy to get rid of. My best suggestion would be to look in the yellow pages, call different pest control places in your area, and get quotes. Do you know where the nest is? I don't know if the price would change depending on how hard the nest is to get to. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I can't seem to tell. They are hovering by the steps on the front porch, by the garden hose and they seem to be flying up by the wood trim by the attic. I'm thinking there has to be at least 1 there if they are getting into the attic and occasionally the bedrooms.
    angiewith2

Answer by angiewith2 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If you know where the nests are, you can get rid of them yourself. I asked the guy who took care of our termite problem what to do about the carpenter bees and he said that all we need to do is get the bee killing powder and "puff" it into the nest hole, which will kill both the bee & its baby once it hatches. Carpenter bees will drill the hole straight in, but then drill a small cavity off to each side of the entrance hole. One side is their nest & the other is where they lay the egg. When you puff bee killing dust into the hole, the bee gets covered and so does the egg. Then, when the egg hatches, the baby bee gets covered w/the dust, too, and dies. If you see two entrance holes side by side, that means the baby hatched already & left, b/c the baby will drill a new hole out of the nest, not use its parent's hole. Just put the dust into all the holes and you can be sure of killing all the bees.
    Anonymous

• I've been reading alot about sealing the wholes with putty or caulk, spraying with pesticides, etc but he problem is our house is very tall and I really think they are boring in on the 2nd floor or 3rd floor near the attic. That's why I'm thinking of an exterminator. I will look though. I'd rather take care of it myself a save the money but I'm afraid I won't be able to manage
    angiewith2

Answer by angiewith2 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I had bees in a wall on my porch. Exterminators would not touch them. I had to get a beekeeper to come remove them. It cost about $350 10 years ago. The beekeeper estimated we had at least 30,000 bees!

Also, be VERY careful trying to do something like this yourself. When you get into the wall there could be thousands or even hundreds of thousands of bees and you don't want to be in the middle of that kind of swarm.
    Anonymous

• Male Carpenter bees don't sting and that's most likely what you are seeing. One of the best ways to get rid of them is to use bee spray to spray their holes and then seals them with wood putty or caulk. (Follow the saw dust piles to the holes).
    We get them around our deck, but not in the house.

Carpenter bees are all black, bumble bees are black and yellow.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010